Default I'm buying a house in Pennsylvania built in 1887

Hi
    My name is Maria. I am moving from Florida to Scranton PA and I am buying a house built in 1887. It was converted into 3 apartments. Its a 3-floor house with a full basement and vinyl siding. I need advice on what to look for and what were the usual features that were found in houses of that era. It looks pretty good but any advice will be appreciated

Thank you

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: I'm buying a house in Pennsylvania built in 1887

Question: Will you be leaving it converted into the three units, or converting it back to a single-family house?

If you are leaving it converted to three units, the members in PA will need to provide information on what to look for, what to expect, and what to look out for (such as in relation to the conversion to three units rented out and other aspects of such).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thank you for responding Jerry. For now, I will leave it as is, but I will be converting it back into a single-family home. I will probably start sometime next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Question: Will you be leaving it converted into the three units, or converting it back to a single-family house?

If you are leaving it converted to three units, the members in PA will need to provide information on what to look for, what to expect, and what to look out for (such as in relation to the conversion to three units rented out and other aspects of such).

As far as the usual features, I'm guessing you are talking about historical interiors for your reconversion. There is a wealth of information on the web and books to see how to put it all back historically.
    In terms of what to look for I'm guessing you mean issues that might make the purchase more or less feasible.
    - foundation walls and water management in relation to seepage
    - figure out what is under the vinyl siding; look around the siding, doors and windows to see if it looks like water has been getting behind the siding to get an idea about potential structural wall damage
    - have a contingency budget for structural repairs as related to the conversion, apartment conversions often get done poorly
    - put together a realistic rehab budget if you decide to deconvert, your rehab will need to meet current Code requirements, costs will add up fast
    - if you want to do a historical rehab, add at least 40% to your cost, probably more though

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Thank you will definitely check under the siding and look for any water damage. I will probably end up doing the conversion really slowly but I am up for the challenge. I know that some rooms have great hardwood flooring that just needs sanding and refinishing. The rest have carpet, linoleum, and cheap laminate hopefully the floors beneath will be salvageable. Have a nice day

Maria

You need to look closely at the foundation and all sill plates/beams in addition to the joist ends.

Have a close look for ant and termite damage. One of the biggest issues of a house of that age.

The house probably gas lit originally and converted to electric using knob and tube wiring. Followed by many iterations of electric addons and upgrades, some correct and others not. Electric may be the biggest concern after termites. Grounding of electric in bathrooms is another concern.

Concern should be directed at how walls were altered over the years. There may be sections of load bearing walls removed without correct compensation for load distribution.

You should look for lead piping in the water supply lines as well as lead being used in the interior distribution. I wouldn't be at all surprised of a material hodgepodge of the water lines.

Scranton has been in a long recession and many repairs/alterations may be sub standard.

Good luck with the project and when you feel overwhelmed, step back and take a long deep breath. You will have to adapt as you proceed.

Find a home inspector with old house experience. That would be a veteran with several thousand homes under his belt, many of them as old or older than this one.

A termite inspection is almost mandatory. A Home Inspector will look for visual signs of termtes, but sometimes an IR scan will reveal hidden nesting not visible to the eye. The sellers may have info from past invasions.

Old chimneys are expensive to replace. A mason can give you estimates for that.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca