Default What's up with this panel? Amp? No disco?

This was a funky house. The lines from the meter head just went straight into this box. I couldn't assess the amperage on the main disconnect because there wasn't one. There were no other panels, just this one. Is this just a main panel with no main disconnect? Maybe it wasn't professionally installed. For my report I'll just have to recommend an electrician look at it but I'm curious about what this setup is and if it has a name.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: What's up with this panel? Amp? No disco?

Those twin breakers have no business in that panel as the panel was manufactured decades prior to Cutler-Hammer introducing twin breakers to their product lineup, it originally would have had 6 or fewer breaker handles or less allowing no main, but that panel was built & hopefully installed prior the NEC requiring the handle of a circuit breaker mounted in the vertical position have "ON" be up position.

The C-H interior above shows nibs on the lower part of the interior where twins are designed to be used, if used on the upper part they flop around not attached to the rail as intended.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

It's also possible that someone installed that panel horizontally when it was intended to be installed vertically.

I'm looking on my phone, so maybe I'm just not seeing the indicators for up and down, or they aren't there, or just not shown?

I've seen many FPEs made to be installed horizontally, but no C-H ones ... just lucky, maybe?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    It's also possible that someone installed that panel horizontally when it was intended to be installed vertically.

I'm looking on my phone, so maybe I'm just not seeing the indicators for up and down, or they aren't there, or just not shown?
    There's a loose screw visible in the OP on the bottom of the panel, so gravity indicates orientation.

FWIW, I bet there's another panel somewhere else on this property.

Dom.

The panel is a NEMA 3R, Cutler-Hammer type CH panels used gray paint on 3R panels & sandlewood color on NEMA 1. There was only the CH line then, it was around 1994 when the BR line was added, which I call "Zinsco II", they use gray for both indoor & outdoor panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    There's a loose screw visible in the OP on the bottom of the panel, so gravity indicates orientation.
    Gravity indicates installed orientation, but not intended orientation.

However, when Rollie said that it was a NEMA 3R enclosure, I noticed what looks like a latch at the bottom of the photo, and a place for the deadfront cover retaining screw, which are indications that it was intended to be installed as shown ... a full width and height photo would answer the question, though.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com