Default New Home Buyer. Structural Concerns

I'm in the market for my first home. It was built in 1972 on a slab foundation. My home inspector observed some cracks in the brick veneer siding and recommended a structural engineer to inspect it. The sellers structural engineer said there were no foundation problems. The crack stretches from front to back of the house along the left side with some bricks leaning outward . i20.jpg
    i19.jpg
    20171130_050853.jpg

There is some separation of the molding in the corner directly adjacent to picture #2 in the interior. The house was recently renovated so I assume a little drywall work would fix and interior cracks.

Should I trust the sellers engineer? Get a foundation repair company to come look at it? Or hire my own structural engineer to inspect it?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Kevin Prosser; 11-30-2017 at 03:38 AM.
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: New Home Buyer. Structural Concerns

If you don't feel comfortable with it hire your own.

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't feel comfortable with it hire your own.

www.1stproinspection.com

Certified Master Inspector
    Like Us On Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/1stproinspection/

Get your own to sign off .

The house was built when? On a slab, so it's not an old brick-walled house, it is a wood framed house with brick veneer, right? Does the brick go to the top of the wall or just half way up?

Brick veneer can peel away from a wood-framed wall and not cause structural problems. But if you see a crack or gap inside, then there is movement in the wood structure.

One cause of movement is heaving or sinking of the slab. If there is exspansive clay in this area, that is the suspect. Sometimes the slab has pretensioned steel rods to help prevent this, but the ends might not be visible.

Two causes of movement above the slab are moisture from a leak leading to rot, and then there is termites. You need more info.

OK, I read the engineer's report and he says he dug down and found no slab or foundation issues. He says he'll answer questions. But they lick the hand that feeds them, no offense, don't we all?

Last edited by John Kogel; 11-30-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    OK, I read the engineer's report and he says he dug down and found no slab or foundation issues. He says he'll answer questions. But they lick the hand that feeds them, no offense, don't we all?
    I disagree with John's statement (above). The engineer now owns that letter, so I would not be inclined to distrust him. However, he did hedge his words a bit, and mentioned the potential of moisture. Given the price of a repair like this, having another structural engineer take a look would be prudent.

Is the interior floor carpet or tile (I infer tile from the engineer's letter, but it does not state tile specifically)? If carpet, then get permission to pull back the carpet and take a look at the slab. If tile and the tile is undamaged, that is (as the engineer indicated) evidence that the slab is in good condition.

You could also get a mason out to take a look. They might be able to give you some indication as to what happened and how expensive a repair it would be.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Well Gunnar, I agree with your statement, that the engineer is probably correct.
    But am suggesting that his wording is biased towards the positive -"Everything will probably be alright", where an engineer for the buyer would be inclined to say "This could be trouble, but it's not too bad yet."
    Still just opinions, until we see pictures of the exposed slab or inside stud cavities. It may be just loose bricks, which can be reattached in one afternoon with heli coil fasteners.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I agree with Gunnar, that in a perfect world, all engineers will always be totally truthful and honest, not biasing their reports toward who is paying them, but ...

Because we don't live at the corner of Perfect and World, we live somewhere near the corner of That's Close and Enough ...

John apparently has seen the corner of That's Close and Enough, and recognizes it by the signs.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

1: The brick are below grade. The veneer should be above grade by 4" to 6"inches. Weep slots are subject to water.
    2: If the SE signed off on the foundation the liability lay with him/her.

By the looks of it the starter courses appear to be effecting the courses above. IMO, the mortar might be the culprit. Mortar quality is affected by a few factors. Brand quality, ratio of sand mixture and viscosity. As well, those are raker or relief joists.
    Exterior raked and rustic mortar joint finishing been prohibited in masonry veneer walls in my neck of the woods sense the early 1980's. Clay units are porous. Wicked moisture at the leading cause spalling.

Are those the only issues?
    Is the house on a busy street?
    Is there irrigation saturating the veneer?
    If the roof is sloped, are there gutter?

Last edited by ROBERT YOUNG; 01-04-2018 at 04:51 AM.
    Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

I would have thought that the Engineer would have described in his letter, whether or not the brick was resting on a footing or ledger, since he said a hole was dug at the affected area.
    I see this issue frequently. The contractor will rest the first course of brick on the ground or a pile of mortar, no ledger. The only thing supporting the brick is the tie straps. Over time, gravity will stretch the straps causing the mortar and brick to crack. If my assessment is accurate, it is not really a structural problem but moisture can enter to openings in the mortar and cause hidden damage.

Alpha Home Inspections
    417- 334-7047

[QUOTE=Bob R;277404]I would have thought that the Engineer would have described in his letter, whether or not the brick was resting on a footing or ledger, since he said a hole was dug at the affected area.....QUOTE]

Good concern to clarify with the contractor. Maybe the footing for the facade was the soil and not the concrete which might explain the step crack. Masonry walls may require expansion joints which might explain the vertical corner cracks. Paint and renovations might hide existing/current problems.

Did the OP make the purchase or is there any new information about this?

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by Franz Bailey; 01-11-2018 at 07:53 AM. Reason: removed duplicate text within the body. program seemed unstable
    The full loathe honey, but to the hungry, even what is bitter tastes sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Bailey View Post
    Maybe the footing for the facade was the soil and not the concrete which might explain the step crack.
    That (the brick veneer) on soil would mean no footing (soil is not a footing), and thus (if that were the cause) would need correcting.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
    I would have thought that the Engineer would have described in his letter, whether or not the brick was resting on a footing or ledger, since he said a hole was dug at the affected area.
    I see this issue frequently. The contractor will rest the first course of brick on the ground or a pile of mortar, no ledger. The only thing supporting the brick is the tie straps. Over time, gravity will stretch the straps causing the mortar and brick to crack. If my assessment is accurate, it is not really a structural problem but moisture can enter to openings in the mortar and cause hidden damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That (the brick veneer) on soil would mean no footing (soil is not a footing), and thus (if that were the cause) would need correcting.
    Correct, my mistake, sorry. Maybe the masons used soil to support the façade and the soil has move. That is why the contractor should be asked about the footer he observed.

The full loathe honey, but to the hungry, even what is bitter tastes sweet.