Thread: Plaster?

Default Plaster?

This is the backside of a ceiling (viewed from the attic). Is this plaster? It appears to have a mesh type backing, as opposed to wood lath. House built 1956, if that helps. And the stuff on the right is blown insulation.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Plaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Murphy View Post
    This is the backside of a ceiling (viewed from the attic). Is this plaster? It appears to have a mesh type backing, as opposed to wood lath. House built 1956, if that helps. And the stuff on the right is blown insulation.
    Thanks!
    Plaster on rib lath.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rib+...GETebRFq4wV0M:

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Be careful when in those attics with plaster on metal lath ceilings: https://youtu.be/fJSXh-qzI88

I've seen photos of plaster on wood lath with the ceilings laying on the floor ... if you see ceilings sagging, be very careful about going into those attics as the nails holding the ceiling up can rust off.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Gunnar and Jerry!

Jerry,

I couldn't tell for sure, but it looked to me like that was gypsum wallboard rather than plaster. I would guess inadequate nailing, but your idea of rusted nails might be it.

The homeowner's statement that it was because of the number of people up there is one of those frustrating things that we often run into. If the workmen were standing on the plaster/wallboard ceiling, they would have fallen through, not loosened it.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Could be drywall, could be rock lath (like in this old thread: http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...-collapse.html ), could be metal lath, or wood lath - depends on the age of the house, the area (different areas of the country used different methods, all were approved methods at the time of installation, some methods are still approved and used).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ryan, this is plaster on metal lath. Typically used primarily in bathrooms. It does not react like plaster on wood lath where failure is not uncommon. 1956 you would expect the rest of the house would be done in a plaster lath board.

The metal lath was preferred in humid/wet locations. Lath board( 2x4) had a paper surface similar to today's drywall. Plaster was layed (3/8") up over the board sometimes as a rough coat followed by a finished coat. Other times just a finish coat.

Often metal lath was used on the ceilings and board was used on the wall of the bathroom. Not unusual to find metal lath around tub walls.

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 12-12-2017 at 05:24 AM.

Rock lath was available in a couple of widths, 16" wide and 24" wide; and typically available in lengths of 4', 8', 12, and 16'.

All the rock lath I've worked with, and ever seen installed, were 16" × 16' boards.

The sizes available in various areas across the country were probably decided upon by the first plasters in that area or the first 'supply houses' in the area. The old plasters may have have said something like 'I'm changing from wood lath to this new rock lath stuff, so I need some 24" × 8' rock lath boards' ... and the supply house said 'I got some 16" × 16' rock lath boards - that's what Johnny ordered ... I've got some left and I can get more for you' ...

So the areas I was in used 16" × 16' rock lath ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I grew up in a family of plastering contractors. I remember they used the metal lath (would cut your fingers easily), or button board which was gypsum board with evenly spaced holes in it. I wasn't around when they did the wood lath.

I was going to say, plaster on Diamond lathe, Maybe a repair?
    Used Diamond lathe for parge screen foundation repairs.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”