John Binder Guest

Default 60 amp breaker in Main panel feeding panel in garage with 100 amp main.

I have just looked at a main panel in a basement with a 60 amp breaker (100 amp service). This breaker feeds another panel in a garage with a 100 amp main breaker and panel... what are the implications? Thanks in advance...jb

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: 60 amp breaker in Main panel feeding panel in garage with 100 amp main.

Quote Originally Posted by John Binder View Post
    I have just looked at a main panel in a basement with a 60 amp breaker (100 amp service). This breaker feeds another panel in a garage with a 100 amp main breaker and panel... what are the implications? Thanks in advance...jb
    Assuming all of the wiring is properly sized, the 60 amp would trip without tripping the 100 amp.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Default Re: 60 amp breaker in Main panel feeding panel in garage with 100 amp main.

Quote Originally Posted by John Binder View Post
    I was waiting for Gunnar to comment on the terminology and that the use of "main panel" indicated a different panel than the "service equipment" panel. (For those who believe that "main panel" means the "service equipment" panel.)

I PRESUME that what is being described is:

a) The service equipment panel is someplace else and is apparently 100 amp rated (because of the "100 amp service" statement, however ... this statement 'could' be indicating that this panel in the basement IS the "service equipment" panel and what is being described is just one of the breakers in that panel which feeds the other panel in the garage).

b) The panel in the basement is a remote panel (remote from the service equipment panel located elsewhere - see a) above ... but might not be ... just not enough information in the description to know for sure).

c) The panel in the basement has a 60 amp breaker which feeds another panel in the garage which has a 'panel main' of 100 amp.

Basically, though, as Gunnar said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist
    ... the 60 amp would trip without tripping the 100 amp.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

How about you tell us what you see as the issue?

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

When you see a 30 to 60 amp feed added to the home panel, going outside to a shed, and if it is a good bet it was done by someone other than a certified electrician - Check the wire gauge of the feeder, and check where it leaves and enters the other building.

For 240 volt service to the shop there needs to be 4 wires in that cable.
    Check for a bond from the shop panel back to the source panel or main panel.

The panel in the shop has a main disconnect and that is good. The service to the shop is 60 amps, provided the wire gauge is sized to handle 60 amps. If it is undersized cable, the breaker needs to be replaced.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I was waiting for Gunnar to comment on the terminology and that the use of "main panel" indicated a different panel than the "service equipment" panel.
    Jerry,

Yeah yeah. I just wasn't in the mood. Sometimes, I just feel like I'm speaking to the wind. I have been after my chapter of members for years now, and they just won't do it.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Jerry,

Yeah yeah. I just wasn't in the mood. Sometimes, I just feel like I'm speaking to the wind. I have been after my chapter of members for years now, and they just won't do it.
    Gunnar,

I absolutely know how you feel.

But ... there have been a few bright spots ... ... when someone makes the change, and some have.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com