Wesley McDonald Guest

Default No main disconnect in the service entrance panel - (not a split panel)

I am a property manager of a newly acquired an older 7 unit apartment building in Indiana. Tracing from the meters to the service panels is interesting. There are no disconnects between the meters and the service panels. The wiring coming from the meters #6 THHN which then is connected to other older wires which go to the service panels. The amp rating on the older wires is around 60 amps. Some service panels have no main breaker (these are not split-panels but I think what most folks would call subpanels.) Other wires go to service panels with main breakers rated for either 100 amps or 125 amps (I don't remember which). I think I need to get an electrician to come and run larger service wiring to the panels and in some cases install new panels which have main breakers. I think that this is the only way to bring things up to code. Help me out. Am I correct? Thanks in advance for any help.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: No main disconnect in the service entrance panel - (not a split panel)

Absolutely, get a professional electrician to check out the wiring.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Wesley McDonald Guest

Default Re: No main disconnect in the service entrance panel - (not a split panel)

Thanks Mr. Kogel. I appreciate your quick response too. May God bless your week.

I have to say (type?), I am impressed. I don't know of any property manager who is knowledgeable about wiring and disconnects.

I agree with John. A licensed electrical contractor can thoroughly analyze your needs and get you prices before work begins.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/