Question Plumber's strapping tape

I understand the ban on using galvanized plumber's tape to support plastic pipes. Plastic J-hooks are preferred. But what about the plastic strapping tape? Is it approved by code?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Plumber's strapping tape

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Laird View Post
    I understand the ban on using galvanized plumber's tape to support plastic pipes. Plastic J-hooks are preferred. But what about the plastic strapping tape? Is it approved by code?
    Hi Scott,

I believe that the supports have to also prevent uplift, not just hang the pipe. I'm running behind right now, so I'm not going to look up the reference, but it should be specified in the IRC.

So, when they are used in conjunction with a bracket of some sort, plastic strapping should be fine. I have seen 1x4 nailed to the floor joists used in places where the brackets were not long enough and the pipe strapped to the bottom end of the 1x4. I realize that saying "it passed inspection" doesn't always mean what we would like, but...

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Hi Scott,

I believe that the supports have to also prevent uplift, not just hang the pipe. I'm running behind right now, so I'm not going to look up the reference, but it should be specified in the IRC.

So, when they are used in conjunction with a bracket of some sort, plastic strapping should be fine. I have seen 1x4 nailed to the floor joists used in places where the brackets were not long enough and the pipe strapped to the bottom end of the 1x4. I realize that saying "it passed inspection" doesn't always mean what we would like, but...
    Thanks Gunnar. Again it's one of those things I used on my own home, but confused if it was proper.

The main reason that galvanized strapping is no longer used is that, for copper piping, galvanic action between the steel and the copper occurs, and the specifically states
    - From the IRC: (underlining is mine)
    - - P2605.1 General - - - Piping shall be supported in accordance with the following:
    - - - - 1. Piping shall be supported to ensure alignment and prevent sagging, and allow movement associated with the expansion and contraction of the piping system.
    - - - - 2. Piping in the ground ( ... blah, blah, blah)
    - - - - 3. Hanger and anchors shall be of sufficient strength to maintain their proportional share of the weight of the pipe and contents and of sufficient width to prevent distortion to the pipe. Hangers and strapping shall be of approved material that will not promote galvanic action.
    - - - - 4. (blah, blah, blah)
    - - - - 5. (blah, blah, blah)

If a local building official "approves" the use of that perforated plumbers strapping ... then it is permitted by the code.

I have seen many, many, broken plastic 'J' hooks and I totally dislike the use of plastic - plastic degrades over time due to exposure to UV (sunlight), and that starts once it is first exposed, and most of those 'J' hooks are white plastic, and white plastic is not resistant to UV without the addition of chemicals, and if the right chemical mix is not there ... there is limited protection from UV.

And, yes, galvanized metal strapping rusts, so that is one reason given that some do not use it ... see my comment on broken plastic supports above - if you use that reason for galvanized metal, then use that same reason for plastic.

So I would avoid stating that perforated galvanized metal plumbers strapping is no longer approved - it may still be used in some areas ... it just depends.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com