Thread: Please ID

Default Please ID

Hello,
    My Home Inspector did a great job, but could not be sure of what this item is. There are two of them at same end of the house. Any ideas?

ConcreteBox.jpg

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Please ID

Septic tank covers?
    Foundation cut outs where interior or porch piers were installed? (although I don't think the rebar would protrude if these were cut outs).

But there's what looks like discharge hose at ground level. Its hard to see in the pic. I had the main line scoped as part of the inspection. Clay pipe all the way to city main.

Is that a sprinkler head in there? I can't tell what it is on my phone.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 02-19-2018 at 01:31 PM. Reason: removed "updated" duplicate part.
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

- - - Updated - - -

My wife pulled the black cap off and said that there was a brass fitting that was non-threaded. She described an air coupling in my opinion. I did not see it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Burnett View Post
    Septic tank covers?
    Looking at the photo on my computer, I'm going with Gary as a possibility, that hose/piping may be going "to" it, not "from" it.

Notice that the concrete piece with the rebar sticking out is not completely centered on the lower concrete base, suggesting that it gets moved at times. Maybe some type of sump pump or system in it?

Did you see the alarm associated with lift stations?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Looking at the photo on my computer, I'm going with Gary as a possibility, that hose/piping may be going "to" it, not "from" it.

Notice that the concrete piece with the rebar sticking out is not completely centered on the lower concrete base, suggesting that it gets moved at times. Maybe some type of sump pump or system in it?

Did you see the alarm associated with lift stations?
    There were no alarms in the house. I did notice two timers, pictured below, that we didn't trace back to the panel. Since there are two concrete boxes and two switches, maybe they are related. My inspector suggested that there ma be sump pumps in the boxes. But since he did not want to risk damaging something, he did not open them.

timers.jpg

David,
    Going to ask for a little more information. Feel free to add any information you might know about the property.

1. Is the home on septic or city sewer system? Septic will have tanks that will have access covers. Depending on the system it will have a drain field or 3 or 4 sprinkler heads to discharge the effluent. If the concrete "lids" are about 5 feet apart it is probably for 2 septic tanks.
    A grey water tank can be buried and used for lawn watering in some areas. Probably wouldn't have two of them.
    2. Are there gutters with downspouts that drain underground?
    3. Can you ask the seller what the heck they are for?

I would suggest # 3 would be the best solution.

Let us know when you find out what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Burnett View Post
    David,
    Going to ask for a little more information. Feel free to add any information you might know about the property.

1. Is the home on septic or city sewer system? Septic will have tanks that will have access covers. Depending on the system it will have a drain field or 3 or 4 sprinkler heads to discharge the effluent. If the concrete "lids" are about 5 feet apart it is probably for 2 septic tanks.
    A grey water tank can be buried and used for lawn watering in some areas. Probably wouldn't have two of them.
    2. Are there gutters with downspouts that drain underground?
    3. Can you ask the seller what the heck they are for?

I would suggest # 3 would be the best solution.

Let us know when you find out what it is.
    1. The main line was scoped during the inspection. It ran to the city main. Plumber suspected the possibility of a septic system used in the past.
    2. None of the down spouts run under ground.
    3. Realtor just heard back from previous owner. He says they are old sump pumps. Now the sump pump in the basement is used as primary.

I'm wondering how the sump pumps so close to ground level were feed from the drainage tile system.

The concrete portion is old, but there is new plumbing there which suggests they were still being used recently. I would be checking with the neighbors to learn more about seasonal water levels in that area.
    Whenever you see recent improvements to a system, it tells you the previous system was inadequate, bad. The new pump might be fine, but it is still a mechanical device that can fail in the future.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    The concrete portion is old, but there is new plumbing there which suggests they were still being used recently. I would be checking with the neighbors to learn more about seasonal water levels in that area.
    Whenever you see recent improvements to a system, it tells you the previous system was inadequate, bad. The new pump might be fine, but it is still a mechanical device that can fail in the future.
    Thanks. The HI did note that the current pump in the basement is pumping slower than expected. He suggested maintenance and adding battery back up. Both of which I plan to get done.

Once I take possession, I will open those concrete lids and take pics. I'll post what I find here, in case anyone in curious.