Default Combustibles in cabinet Looking for the code plz

Just looking for the code pertaining to this condition. Or just point me the section..Appreciated...

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Combustibles in cabinet Looking for the code plz

NEC 110.3 (B) listing and labeling.

Listed and labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with its listing and labeling information (manufacturer's installation instructions are part of that information).

That's my wording of what the code says.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

Listed and labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with its listing and labeling information (manufacturer's installation instructions are part of that information).

I was afraid of that. Theres no way to get that info for this..

Theres no way to get that info for this..
    Got this tho..

110.12(A) Unused Openings. Unused openings, other than those intended for the operation of equipment, those intended for mounting purposes, or those permitted as part of the design for listed equipment,
    shall be closed to afford protection substantially equivalent to the wall of the equipment.

Last edited by Marc M; 02-23-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I was afraid of that. Theres no way to get that info for this..
    If what you see in there (wood) is not listed on the label, and where it can be put, then it's not allowed.

The only reason I can think of for that wood is to close off an opening. and if that was a manufacturer opening, then it would be a metal closure plate, not wood.

If that is not a manufacturer opening ... well ... then it shouldn't be there.

Just depends on how you look at it - them prove it is permitted.

My point was to address it differently - don't use "combustible material" use "non-manufacturer permitted material" ... when "they" respond "it is permitted" ... that opens the door for your "It is? Show me." response.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

If what you see in there (wood) is not listed on the label, and where it can be put, then it's not allowed.

The only reason I can think of for that wood is to close off an opening. and if that was a manufacturer opening, then it would be a metal closure plate, not wood.

If that is not a manufacturer opening ... well ... then it shouldn't be there.

Just depends on how you look at it - them prove it is permitted.

My point was to address it differently - don't use "combustible material" use "non-manufacturer permitted material" ... when "they" respond "it is permitted" ... that opens the door for your "It is? Show me." response.
    LOL.. I love it.. thanks JP

nfpa 921
    Ignition by Electrical Energy.

9.9.1.1 General. For ignition to be from an electrical source, the following must occur:
    (a) The electrical wiring, equipment, or component must have been energized from a building's wiring, an emergency system, a battery, or some other source.
    (b) Sufficient heat and temperature to ignite a close combustible material must have been produced by electrical energy at the point of origin by the electrical source.
    Ignition by electrical energy involves generating both a sufficiently high temperature and heat (i.e., competent ignition source) by passage of electrical current to ignite material that is close. Sufficient heat and temperature may be generated by a wide variety of means, such as short circuit and ground fault parting arcs, excessive current through wiring or equipment, resistance heating, or by ordinary sources such as lightbulbs, heaters, and cooking equipment. The requirement for ignition is that the temperature of the electrical source be maintained long enough to bring the adjacent fuel up to its ignition temperature with air present to allow combustion.

Marc,

Change the wording 'electrical energy', 'electrical source', etc, to any other form of energy (i.e., 'open flame') and that describes the ignition process.

What it does not do, however, is state that combustible material is not permitted in electrical panels ... the panel label, which is combustible, is in the panel, conductor insulation, which is combustible, is in electrical panels, etc ..

A fire may very well originate in a panel from arcs and overheating, that's why they use metal panel cabinets (in most cases) - to contain a fire.

And why unused openings are to be closed.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com