Default Chimney build issue?

Hey guys I am a young inspector out of NJ and saw this home today. It is over 100 years old and I saw that the chimney runs through a dormer. I haven't had many inspections yet and am still learning but have never seen anything like this. Any thoughts about this build? Is it ok or something I should call out ?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Chimney build issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Scheuerer View Post
    Hey guys I am a young inspector out of NJ and saw this home today. It is over 100 years old and I saw that the chimney runs through a dormer. I haven't had many inspections yet and am still learning but have never seen anything like this. Any thoughts about this build? Is it ok or something I should call out ?
    Is that a window behind the chimney? Seems like it would be an egress issue if that is a building. Maybe a natural light issue as well.

Kinda crazy.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Is that a window behind the chimney? Seems like it would be an egress issue if that is a building. Maybe a natural light issue as well.

Kinda crazy.

Yea it is a window. Thanks for the response!

Yea it is a window. Thanks for the response!
    Aaron,

I meant to type "Seems like it would be an egress issue if that is a bedroom".

Sorry about that.

Aaron,

I meant to type "Seems like it would be an egress issue if that is a bedroom".

Sorry about that.

Yep no worries I got what you were saying thanks!!!

Yep no worries I gt what you were saying thanks!!!

I would call it out for combustible clearances, just for starters. FYI though, I am not a HI yet.

Curious if the bricks in the chimney matched all the way up, or if there was a difference at about the lower overhang line or maybe several feet up?

If there is a difference in the bricks, it could be that the chimney was shorter, the dormer was installed, then it was pointed out that the chimney had to be 3 feet higher than the ridge of the dormer.

That would account for that window being installed where it is, and the chimney blocking the window.

If that chimney was already that height, then I would have concerns about the way the window was installed ... given that there is an apparent lack of working space to properly install, flash, and seal the window with that chimney in the way.

Just some thoughts.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It that a plumbing vent in picture #2?

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post
    It that a plumbing vent in picture #2?
    I didn't even see that. Looks kind of like a B-vent (terminated under the eave). Even so, a plumbing vent or a B-vent adjacent to an openable window is not a good idea.

This may look better....

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

www.1stproinspection.com

Certified Master Inspector
    Like Us On Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/1stproinspection/

I didn't even see that. Looks kind of like a B-vent (terminated under the eave). Even so, a plumbing vent or a B-vent adjacent to an openable window is not a good idea.
    I didn't see that in the shadow either, not on my phone or on my computer - and "a plumbing vent or a B-vent adjacent to an openable window is not a good idea" ... is worse than not a good idea, it is not allowed by the codes either - one of those 'that's not a good idea' things that are bad enough to make it into the codes and the codes say 'you are not permitted to do something that stupid' ... okay, the code doesn't say it in those words ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    ... is worse than not a good idea,
    Yeah, yeah. I shoulda used some kind of emoji to indicate I was kidding. JP is right.

A 100 year old house has multiple issues, always, and especially if additions were done the old way, whichever way was convenient with people often residing in the house.
    I see missing mortar near the top, from exposure to the weather. The chimney cap, a concrete seal on top of the last row of bricks, is cracked and leaking. I know this, but don't have X ray vision,so would use a pole camera out one of the windows to get pics of the top of a chimney like that. It is probably brick lined inside, so will need a liner installed or abandon the chimney completely, option 2.

If there is 2" clearance from wood, bridged with metal flashing, then that is correct, not an issue.

They should add an extension to that vent, or replumb the whole house, best option.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca