Default Roof Sagging - General Inspection Question for the experts.

Would this sagging roof pass a typical inspection for new construction. What might the builder do to remedy the solution that is acceptable other than pull of the shingles and fix it?

https://1drv.ms/a/s!AvYjz7wFpTt49FmMCCtYsw_GUdtK

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Roof Sagging - General Inspection Question for the experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Edward View Post
    Would this sagging roof pass a typical inspection for new construction. What might the builder do to remedy the solution that is acceptable other than pull of the shingles and fix it?

https://1drv.ms/a/s!AvYjz7wFpTt49FmMCCtYsw_GUdtK
    Sorry, I'm not clicking on a cryptic link that may lead to who-knows-where.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Sorry, I'm not clicking on a cryptic link that may lead to who-knows-where.
    The link goes to images of the roof .

www.1stproinspection.com

Certified Master Inspector
    Like Us On Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/1stproinspection/

The photos are easier to load and look at when uploaded to the inspectionnews.net server, at least they are for me.

Looking at them on my phone (will look on the computer later) I see what looks like a high truss, a mis-positioned truss, or mis-framed area. I can see a wrinkle or gap in the ridge vent where it goes up and over the high point.

Would need to see some photos with references from inside the attic, i.e., is the roof decking "sagging" or "straight sloped" from truss to truss, etc.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks gentlemen. Sorry about the link. It's to Microsoft OneDrive. I will make smaller versions and upload them. Just got back from the site. It's def 2 high trusses, and sagging in the bays. Not sure how/what the builder is going to propose to fix it down here Lancaster County, SC.

Thanks gentlemen. Sorry about the link. It's to Microsoft OneDrive. I will make smaller versions and upload them. Just got back from the site. It's def 2 high trusses, and sagging in the bays. Not sure how/what the builder is going to propose to fix it down here Lancaster County, SC.
    Michael,

Click on a photo uploaded to inspectionnews and you can click it, open it in a new tab, and zoom in on it.

Your photos on that Microsoft OneDrive are (apparently) caught in the "Microsoft lack of thinking it through" syndrome - can't click on the photo and open it in a new tab, and trying to zoom in zooms in on "the page" the photos are on, but "the photos" actually get smaller, and smaller, and smaller ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Photos uploaded. Thanks in advance.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

There is a 'high' truss with an adjacent 'low' truss.

The 'high' truss may be pushed forward slightly while the 'low' truss is pushed back slightly.

With them next to each other, they stand out more than if there was a 'good' truss between them.

I suspect that the framers/truss setters did not string a line along the ridge to make sure the trusses all lined up properly before securing the trusses in place ... after that ... it is downhill all the way as each additional building material makes it harder to correct, while also making it easier to see.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lewis View Post
    The link goes to images of the roof .
    Easy to assume that, but based on the non-descriptive and convoluted link, I wasn't clicking through to find out.

The bump in the roof is where there is a transition from one truss design to another.
    Tell the builder to fix it. He's aware of it, unless he is an absentee type with an amateur crew doing his work. Whatever it takes, it is back in his lap, IMO.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

The builder will argue that the deflections do not affect performance and are only a visual issue.

May also see this where the roof shingles were dropped in "bulk" on delivery. Thus causing a deflection in the roof structure and sheathing. Any photos of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    The builder will argue that the deflections do not affect performance and are only a visual issue.
    And the buyer should argue that they didn't buy the house based on performance only, they bought it based on how it looked visually.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

IMO it is improper. I believe it can cause an unbalanced load shift...ie snow loads etc..
    All trusses should be on an even plane with only minor deviation.
    The depicted trusses show major deviation.
    And besides all that it looks like crap..Yep!
    I'm a builder and I'd make them correct it.

Last edited by Roy Lewis; 03-20-2018 at 05:50 AM.

www.1stproinspection.com

Certified Master Inspector
    Like Us On Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/1stproinspection/

They've got a big fight with the builder, that's not going to be an easy fix. It doesn't look appealing at all. Too bad its not on the back of the house.

really appreciate all the help. Pulte wants to fix it by not removing the shingles and ripping the truss underneath based on the truss manufacturer's spec's and then re-engineering the truss.

- - - Updated - - -

really appreciate all the help. Pulte wants to fix it by not removing the shingles and ripping the truss underneath based on the truss manufacturer's spec's and then re-engineering the truss.

Pulte wants to fix it by not removing the shingles and ripping the truss underneath based on the truss manufacturer's spec's and then re-engineering the truss.
    They will be responsible for the outcome of the repair, you need to let them make their own mistakes and not tell them how to do the work, lest they do what you say wrong and it turns out wrong, then they say 'we did it like you said' (even though they didn't) and try to blame it on you.

Let Plute make the repair their way, then, when it doesn't come out right, let them remove the shingles and make the repair the right way ... and, yes, there is the chance that their way might work, but I think it will be harder and more costly than removing the shingles and roof decking and doing it 'right', but it is their call - and, most importantly - their responsibility and they will be responsible for the outcome.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    They will be responsible for the outcome of the repair, you need to let them make their own mistakes and not tell them how to do the work, lest they do what you say wrong and it turns out wrong, then they say 'we did it like you said' (even though they didn't) and try to blame it on you.

Let Plute make the repair their way, then, when it doesn't come out right, let them remove the shingles and make the repair the right way ... and, yes, there is the chance that their way might work, but I think it will be harder and more costly than removing the shingles and roof decking and doing it 'right', but it is their call - and, most importantly - their responsibility and they will be responsible for the outcome.
    Thanks Jerry, very sound advice. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks Jerry, very sound advice. I'll keep you guys posted.
    Curious to know how this turned out!

Egbert Jager
    Diamond Home Inspection
    http://www.diamondhomeinspection.ca

Roof Ridge. Appears the truss peaks do not line up at the ridge to make a level horizontal plane. Looks like one truss.

As to any sagging sheathing between the trusses. Take an image of the plywood grade stamp and thickness. Post the image when you can.

If both roof decks sides are flat, front and rear, they can build up along both sides of the sheathing at the ridge to have a continuous level run and place the ridge vent on top.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”