Default Unknown end bearing, twisting beam

This beam is twisting and the end bearing seems a bit hinky to me. It had been caulked but looks like the beam twisted away from it. There is checking and it's running through the beam from end to end, so not really a crack, yet.
    Is this beam going to keep twisting, possibly crack and cause structural weakness? Is it a structural weakness? I think it is, but others think it will be fine. I know we can't predict the future so I was just going to suggest they monitor the situation. What do ya'all think?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Unknown end bearing, twisting beam

From the photos, it looks like the normal "stuff" we see with wood. Heavy beams are prone to that kind of twisting and partial splitting. Even if it was properly kiln dried, once in place, site humidity will stimulate wood to find its final form. But of course, different times of the year have different humidity and we can get dry periods and wet periods that can trigger more subtle changes that will go back and forth.

What your photos show looks acceptable. I've seen the lifted side shimmed to re-establish broad bearing, but I don't know if that's really necessary if the bearing edge is solidly on the column. Caulking (sealing) is a good idea.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Agree with Lon. That is pretty typical in NM. The wood dries out and shrinks and moves. As for whether it will continue, you'll need your crystal ball for that one. If the house is more than 2 years old, probably not. A lot of times they are not properly fastened, though. It can be hard to see once it is in place, but I find a lot of that stuff is only toe screwed to the top of the columns. That certainly will help it move easier than if it were lag bolted down into the column.

If they are really concerned, you can strap it in place to the column. It doesn't look very nice, but can provide a lot of additional support.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Chambers View Post
    This beam is twisting and the end bearing seems a bit hinky to me. It had been caulked but looks like the beam twisted away from it. There is checking and it's running through the beam from end to end, so not really a crack, yet.
    Is this beam going to keep twisting, possibly crack and cause structural weakness? Is it a structural weakness? I think it is, but others think it will be fine. I know we can't predict the future so I was just going to suggest they monitor the situation. What do ya'all think?
    Echoing Jim & Ron,

Lumber is dynamic and will crack. That is one of the reasons for the engineered beams that are becoming more prevalent these days.

I would certainly mention the conditions in the report.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Ok, thanks alot guys for your responses. Much appreciated. I will mention it, but not to be too concerned about it.