Thread: Is it LIVE?

Default Is it LIVE?

How do I figure out if this is live or not? Not sticking my hand or anything else in it!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Is it LIVE?

A non-contact voltage tester. I think mine was around $10.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Live or not it appears to me to be improperly wired. The UF feeder appears to use the grounding conductor as a neutral. Just one of the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Richter View Post
    Live or not it appears to me to be improperly wired. The UF feeder appears to use the grounding conductor as a neutral. Just one of the problems.
    The way the outer sheath is split open, that may not be UF cable.

The white conductor (it is not a neutral) may be used for the second hot of a 240 volt circuit if it was properly re-identified to other than white (indicating a grounded conductor) - that would typically be re-identified to red as there is already a black there.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I trust non-contact voltage detectors about as far as I can throw a dump truck. If you aren't familiar with electrical procedures and safety practices get it checked for the obvious failings and the "hot or not" pronouncement by a sparktrickery person.

If the picture is as you found it, at the very least the entire guts of the box are suspect from weathering as it was never designed to be left open.

Occam's eraser: The philosophical principle that even the simplest solution is bound to have something wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kriegh View Post
    I trust non-contact voltage detectors about as far as I can throw a dump truck.
    Well I guess you don't have a clue as to what you are doing.

www.1stproinspection.com

Certified Master Inspector
    Like Us On Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/1stproinspection/

I guess I would put my outlet tester in the outlet receptacle since it seems to be wired to the breaker.
    Then I would warn Will Robinson................

I trust non-contact voltage detectors about as far as I can throw a dump truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lewis View Post
    C'mon....no need for that harshness... We all have different experiences that we bring to our job. I find a voltage sniffer to be useful, but it is only one of my tools. Most tools are only as good as the operator and many tool problems are operator error.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

I trust non-contact voltage detectors about as far as I can throw a dump truck. If you aren't familiar with electrical procedures and safety practices get it checked for the obvious failings and the "hot or not" pronouncement by a sparktrickery person.

If the picture is as you found it, at the very least the entire guts of the box are suspect from weathering as it was never designed to be left open.
    Thanks members, for the advice. I shall follow the
    Bill K. wisdom, seems safest for a prenewb like me. Lots of little grandchildren running around this yard at times and when I saw it I had a instavision of one of them sticking something into this box.
    (Instavision is Elizabeth speak for a scary picture popping into my head of what might possibly happen).

I so enjoyed the "Warn Will Robinson" comment! LoL.

Right, I think there is a good chance that is a live circuit. So treat it as such. If you are renting, ask the landlord to have it fixed for the safety of your kids.
    If you own the home, have an electrician make it safe. He may be able to clean up the tarnished contacts and install a cover. Sometimes the cover is still there somewhere, tossed aside. Ask for an estimate before he starts so you know where you stand. The picture shows a splice by the breaker that isn't clear. A good electrician will see right away what's needed there.

A voltage sniffer may not be 100% reliable, but a new one will beep if there is a live voltage there. Test it around the house and get a feel for what it does. Sometimes you get false beeps where there are stray low voltages.

A 3-prong tester can be used on the outlet, or simply a trouble light or lamp. You could trace that cord to whatever device it connects to.

Last edited by John Kogel; 04-01-2018 at 09:58 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Right, I think there is a good chance that is a live circuit. So treat it as such. If you are renting, ask the landlord to have it fixed for the safety of your kids.
    If you own the home, have an electrician make it safe. He may be able to clean up the tarnished contacts and install a cover. Sometimes the cover is still there somewhere, tossed aside. Ask for an estimate before he starts so you know where you stand. The picture shows a splice by the breaker that isn't clear. A good electrician will see right away what's needed there.

A voltage sniffer may not be 100% reliable, but a new one will beep if there is a live voltage there. Test it around the house and get a feel for what it does. Sometimes you get false beeps where there are stray low voltages.

A 3-prong tester can be used on the outlet, or simply a trouble light or lamp. You could trace that cord to whatever device it connects to.
    John, I am a new inspector, whos not an inspector yet, inspecting this house, you silly! The grandkids are not MY grandkids, I have no children.
    I can take all the time I want with it because I am doing this inspection for free and to get some hands on practice inspecting, plus I work for the owners occasionaly and take care of their horses and live only one minute away. Thanks for the good advice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The way the outer sheath is split open, that may not be UF cable.

The white conductor (it is not a neutral) may be used for the second hot of a 240 volt circuit if it was properly re-identified to other than white (indicating a grounded conductor) - that would typically be re-identified to red as there is already a black there.
    So, what is your point. The installation is still non-compliant, which is my point.

Even if it was UF it is for pool equipment making it wrong. The grounding conductor must be insulated .

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Richter View Post
    So, what is your point. The installation is still non-compliant, which is my point.
    However, you didn't say it was non-compliant, did you?

You pointed out an item, and I commented on an item.

The entire thing likely needs to be replaced.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

[QseesUOTE=Jerry Peck;278570]However, you didn't say it was non-compliant, did you?

You pointed out an item, and I commented on an item.

The entire thing likely needs to be replaced.[/QUOTE]

I should have clarified this better. This has been abandoned and a new pool pump/heater ect set up elseware. However, I think when that was done, they did not have the power disconnected from this box. When I asked them they could not remember.
    I wanted to find out if it was live before suggesting an electrician come out, because if it is not live, that suggestion wont be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Chambers View Post
    I wanted to find out if it was live before suggesting an electrician come out, because if it is not live, that suggestion wont be necessary.
    A voltage sniffer would be the first step, if it goes off, it is likely live - verify with a multimeter.

If it doesn't go off, verify with a multimeter.

In the end, you will be using a multimeter, but the voltage sniffer is a good "first" step.

I know many electricians who use voltage sniffers, and rely on them, and I also know some electricians who, like Bill, don't trust voltage sniffers ... and use the multimeter (or a Wiggy) for actual checking things.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Chambers View Post
    I should have clarified this better. This has been abandoned and a new pool pump/heater ect set up elseware. However, I think when that was done, they did not have the power disconnected from this box. When I asked them they could not remember.
    You still need to call it out for an electrician to clean up the mess. Just because it is not live at the moment does not mean it will stay that way. Don't hold back on electrical when it is a life or death issue. That mess is definitely a safety hazard.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Red face Re: Is it LIVE?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    You still need to call it out for an electrician to clean up the mess. Just because it is not live at the moment does not mean it will stay that way. Don't hold back on electrical when it is a life or death issue. That mess is definitely a safety hazard.
    Ok, I will certainly do that right away Mr. Jim

(Do you mind if I address you as Mr. Jim?)

Angry Re: Is it LIVE?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lewis View Post
    Why so rude, Roy Lewis? Asking questions is how we all learn. Back when you didn't know everything, maybe you asked a question or two?

Quote Originally Posted by kelly mac View Post
    Why so rude, Roy Lewis? Asking questions is how we all learn. Back when you didn't know everything, maybe you asked a question or two?
    I'm only a master electrician that's been in the trade around 45 years. When I'm skeptical about things it's generally because I've seen a thing or two that involves the issue at hand.

Maybe's he got some time on me, but more likely never seen someone hurt because a tic detector didn't. They make Wiggys for reason.

Occam's eraser: The philosophical principle that even the simplest solution is bound to have something wrong with it.