Talking Using your phone onsite for credit card payments

I used the search box for this topic but got no results. Question: There is a wireless phone or device that has a slot in it for swiping a credit or debit card to process a payment no matter where you are, right?
    These have been around quite awhile now. Would anyone mind telling me about them and brands used and what one would cost to purchace and any related fees involved?

I am still a dianasour when it comes to some kinds of technology.

Thanks ahead of time for any info you can provide.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Using your phone onsite for credit card payments

I use Square.

www.1stproinspection.com

Certified Master Inspector
    Like Us On Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/1stproinspection/

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Chambers View Post
    I used the search box for this topic but got no results. Question: There is a wireless phone or device that has a slot in it for swiping a credit or debit card to process a payment no matter where you are, right?
    These have been around quite awhile now. Would anyone mind telling me about them and brands used and what one would cost to purchace and any related fees involved?
    Thanks ahead of time for any info you can provide.
    Hi Elizabeth,

The most well known is Square, but check with your bank. Costco also has one (Elevon) that, I believe, is through U.S. Bank. I know Elevon has different pricing schedules, depending on which plan you choose. I don't know about Square.

Yes, a little card reader plugs into the headphone jack (not so much on the latest iPhone, though).

Usually, the companies charge a couple of different amounts depending on whether the card is "swiped" or keyed-in. I think Square charges 2.75% for swipe and 3.75% when keyed in on the phone's keypad.

As a result, they will subtract about $19 from a $500 inspection. I think that is pretty stiff considering all they are doing is shuffling money back and forth, but it beats holding the report until I receive payment or chasing someone down if I forget and send the report out before collecting.

I don't know if it's legal to increase the price on credit card purchases. One way to deal with the cost is to raise the inspection prices to cover and give a cash/check discount (kind of like some gas stations).

- - - Updated - - -

"Dianasour". Is your middle name Diana and have you been eating lemons lately?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Square, simple, no contract, no fee unless you use it, works with most phones. They also provide invoice and receipts service from your phone or computer at no additional fee which I use when client requests a receipt or if I am billing someone not present at the inspection. They get the invoice and can enter their card info directly to the secure site and I get a notice of their activity. If you can get cell service, it works through your phone. No additional equipment to buy unless you need more than a phone type setup. I've been using them since 2011. You might get a better rate with others like Dom said but I have no experience with any of they since I left my old school provider that charged a monthly fee and a huge cancellation fee to get out of the contract.
    If anyone wants you to buy equipment, pay up front or sign a contact... DON'T.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Square here too

So I just Google up " Square" ?. You do realize how many different results will pop up using "Square" as a search term? Ok I shall check them out, thank you very much.

So I just Google up " Square" ?. You do realize how many different results will pop up using "Square" as a search term? Ok I shall check them out, thank you very much.
    https://squareup.com/

www.1stproinspection.com

Certified Master Inspector
    Like Us On Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/1stproinspection/

Thumbs up Re: Using your phone onsite for credit card payments

Have you all checked out the Member Benefits page here on InspectionNews?

We have a credit card processing connection that offers some of the best rates out there and if you currently process over $3,000 a month they will give you $100 if they can not beat your current deal.

Credit Cards Processing is #3 on the Benefits list.

The best way to do it is to follow the link below, click "Sign Up On-line" then "Request a Custom Proposal".

Leave IBO ID as it is (03590322). That is how it is connected to InspectionNews (Me).

Check out all the member Benefits here: http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...emberBenefits/

Let me know if you need any help.

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Thanks for the liink Roy.
    Brian, I am just starting out, am going apprentice first. I am gathering info.
    Not going to be making $3000.00 a month for awhile, but when and if I do I will check out your offer.

Hi Elizabeth,

The $3k is just to qualify for the $100 if they can not beat your current rate.

I still recommend contacting them for their rates and recommendations for accepting cards in the field.

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

I use PayPay for payments onsite and online. No fees, competitive rates, and funds are instantly available with my PayPal debit card. I have a card swiper for my iPhone but can also enter manually if needed.

If you're shopping for a merchant account, be aware that many are similar to "used car" dealers.

They play a shell game with the fees. The claim that "we'll beat your current rate" isn't really relevant, since they add all sorts of garbage/nonsense fees every month. One large CC firm I used long ago was always finding new ways to add fees (corporate Visa card fee, non-standard Amex card fee, etc. etc.)

So I use a flat rate processor (PayPal) that charges the same rate, with no monthly surprises. Mobile chip card reader (Bluetooth) for onsite, and I can shoot an emailed invoice to someone for payment.

Dom.