Default Obligatory "New Guy" Post

Been doing a good bit of reading around these forums and am astonished at the sheer amount of knowledge I'm finding. Kudos for the wealth of information!

A little bit of background on me - I'm a married father of four who is *very likely* going to be buying my second house in the next couple of weeks. Felt ridiculously cramped in our old three-bedroom house and have our sights fixed on a much newer five-bedroom with nearly double the square footage. The inspection is tomorrow and barring anything major that I may have missed, we'll close in a few weeks.

I'm not a certified inspector myself, but have worked for a utility company for nearly a decade that gave me tons of experience inspecting mostly natural gas appliances in both commercial and residential settings. Having been a homeowner for 15 years, I also got plenty non-paid experience as a general handyman in my previous, older, home. Everything from a complete overhaul of HVAC systems (minus coils and coolant), whole home electrical, plumbing, and appliance repair.

My wife has been a stay-at-home mom since our twins were born three years ago and we plan for her to stay that way until they start school in 2020. This is essentially what led me to this site; I'm mulling over the idea of getting certified as a home inspector and starting a side business.

Last year, I landed a position with my current company that has fantastic hours (7:00-3:30 Monday-Friday 95% of the time), four weeks of vacation yearly, very little OT, which allows me ample free time on most afternoons/evenings and weekends. Time I would like to allocate, at least in part, to a second income.

I was a private contractor before starting with this company, so I fully understand the dedication needed to get a business off the ground and keep it afloat. I know there is a lot involved with simply becoming a certified Building Inspector, not to mention staying current with codes and structural/technological advancement. I know moonlighting in this manner won't be easy, but given my background, I think it would be a good fit for me personally.

Not taking the leap yet, as my current job more than adequately provides for a family of six, even in the much larger home I mentioned earlier. But I am interested in learning more from those of you who do it for a living as well as anyone who may be in the same boat I am.

Sorry for the long first post and thanks for anyone who takes the time to read it.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Hello Ryan Martin,

I'm Brian Hannigan and I am the creator of InspectionNews

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

InspectionNews has many Member Benefits available to you. Some save you time, others save you money and some do both!

Make sure you view the list of Member Benefits at: http://www.InspectionNews.net/home_i...MemberBenefits

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Talking Re: Obligatory "New Guy" Post

Not an answer to yoir questions, just some unsolicited advice. Try to keep it to a one story home, two storys and trust me, both you and your wife will get sick and tired of running up and down those stairs all the time while raising four kids!

Good luck.

Default Re: Obligatory "New Guy" Post

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hannigan View Post
    Hello Ryan Martin,

I'm Brian Hannigan and I am the creator of InspectionNews

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

InspectionNews has many Member Benefits available to you. Some save you time, others save you money and some do both!

Make sure you view the list of Member Benefits at: http://www.InspectionNews.net/home_i...MemberBenefits
    Thank you for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Chambers View Post
    Not an answer to yoir questions, just some unsolicited advice. Try to keep it to a one story home, two storys and trust me, both you and your wife will get sick and tired of running up and down those stairs all the time while raising four kids!

Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice! We need five bedrooms, so we figured some steps were unavoidable, so we decided to go with a split foyer. Only a handful of steps leading up or downstairs from the front door.

We looked at some traditional floor plans with converted attics/basements and quickly realized how tiresome those stairs would be!