Default Ladders, should thease two brands even be compared?

Add from Harbor Freight,
    Franklin brand 17 foot Multi-Task Ladder
    24 configurations
    Duty rating TYPE 1A
    Load capacity 300 lbs Weight- 34lbs
    Number of steps 7
    Price- $139.99. ( on sale $109.00 )

Little Giant
    Specs exactly the same as the Franklin above.
    (not sure how much it weighs)
    Price- $298.00

Is the LG made in the USA and the Franklin made in China or something? Is it the quality of workmanship and better materials that makes the LG ladder worth the higher price?
    The add claims the Franklin ladder " BEATs" the Little Giant. They must mean it beats the price, do you think it could beat or match the quality as well? Your opinions please?
    I do know that ya get what ya pay for.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Ladders, should thease two brands even be compared?

I buy things from Harbor Freight which are (for the most part) cheap enough to replace when they stop working ... because "you get what you pay for"/"don't get what you don't pay for" ... and Harbor Freight is a good example of that.

While their products are, for the most part, 'getting better', I doubt that I would want to trust my safety to one of their ladders as I wouldn't consider that as something "replaceable" ... at least with me tangled up in it laying on the ground.

Ib January I bought a Vulcan OmniPro 220 welder there instead of going with a MillerMatic 210 or the Lincoln equivalent ... but if it goes bad within the first year, or I decide I don't like it, I can return it for a full refund ... but, with all ladder and me both broken up ... not me.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 04-05-2018 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Changed "I recently bought" to "in January I bou"
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Home Depot has the 22 foot Gorilla multi-position ladder on sale for $99. Hard to beat that price, reviews are good. Looks like most of the Little Giant ladders are also built in China.

Thanks Trent, I will check them out. With having to buy report writing software, getting a different vehicle, E&O insurance, buying clothes that look professional yet are comfortable to work in, and all the other things I am going to need to pay for, I need a good ladder at a good price, but not a cheap ladder, if you know what I mean.

Elizabeth,

I have used Little Giant ladders for a number of years now. It used to be that LG was made in the U.S., I believe they are all made in China now.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

If you want to buy a Little Giant for less, go to a local home shown where they are showing the ladders (if they still do that) and be the first one there - buy the they are displaying ... the price is quite a bit less as that saves them from taking the ladders back with them.

I bought two Little Giant ladders that way years ago (which is the reason for the "if they still do that") - I bought a 26 foot one for the price of a 17 foot one, and a 17 foot one for not much (I don't recall what I paid for them as it was probably 30 years or so ago, but the price was drastically reduced so as to not have to take the ladders back with them.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Little Giant has not been to my local home show or county fair in a few years. Not sure if this is a new business model or if they just haven't done ours. I used to see them there every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Little Giant has not been to my local home show or county fair in a few years. Not sure if this is a new business model or if they just haven't done ours. I used to see them there every year.
    Same here, they used to have a booth at the Home Show(s), but haven't seen them in at least 2 years.

I bought my Little Giant in 1993. I had to replace the feet on it a couple years ago. When I bought mine, they only had a 10 year warranty, now its a lifetime warranty.
    I bought a new LG at Costco a year or so ago. It cost less than mine did in 93, and had more stuff. Weighs a ton, and probably not as tough.
    If you can find any LG with the yellow trim, buy it. I bought a 22' at a garage sale for $50.

The 17 foot LG weighs 34 Lbs which is no problem for me. I am unsure if I could carry around a 22 foot LG for very long though. We do have a lot of garage sales in this area, I will keep my eye out.

Thanks

I did a write up for the ASHI Reporter on ladders in 2015. http://www.ashireporter.org/HomeInsp...m-Update/14686

I did not look at the Harbor Freight ladders but did look at the Werner which is sold through Home Depot. I found the Werner to be cheaper with stamped parts versus the forged parts on the LG. I suspect the Harbor Freight ladder is a cheaper version of the Werner and frankly have some concerns. Let me ask you this - when you have that ladder extended to its full 17' or 22' length and are close to its rated weight will the few dollars you saved be really worth it? Just ask anyone who has taken a fall from a ladder...

My philosophy has always been to buy the best tools for my business as possible and when it comes to equipment that I am trusting my life with to not be cheap. I carry the commercial grade ladders from Xtend and Climb and LG. Yes, they are a bit heavier but when I have to reach that gutter line that is 20' off the ground I am glad they are heavier and the ladder has a wide base.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Little Giant also has a lighter-weight ladder. Alta-One. It's a few pounds less and not much more in cost. I believe this has been discontinued and they are selling their current stock. Last time I looked, they still had the 17' in stock for $180. I don't know if they are coming out with a replacement for this line.

I am way in the minority, but I am not a fan. I tried my friends. It's okay for that rare occasion when I need to offset against a wall or something. But to try and lug that into a house for an attic just seemed silly. So, I would probably only use it outside. In which case, I would much rather just use my 24' extension ladder to get on the roof anyhow. It's just way too heavy for me to want to mess with it. Now, I guess if I didn't want to own a truck anyhow, I may have a different opinion. But I'll always have a full or mid size truck with a ladder rack, so transporting is not a factor. Or at least, as long as I am in business for home inspection. 24' aluminum extension ladder and 6' fiberglass step ladder has been all I have needed for all but 5 or 6 houses over the past 15 years. I never tried the lighter ones, but the homeowner LG ladders that I used just take too long to get set up and into position.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Jim,

I used an aluminum extension and a 6' step for years. I lashed them to the rack on my truck and later my CRV racks. But, the time that is taken opening and closing the LG is offset by the lack of time needed to attach my extension to the roof, whereas the LG stores nicely in the back of my vehicle. So, (for me) it ultimately takes about the same amount of time during an inspection and I only have to bring one ladder out of my vehicle.

I am with you on the weight, which is why I use my 13' Alta-One for as much as I can. Even so, it's still heavier than my old 6' step.

To each their own. Personally, the only one I am uncomfortable with is the TeleSteps.

I bought my ladder! I decided on the LG "Leveler" sold exclusivly by Lowes. It has intigrated leveling feet and wheels for rolling it around if needed. It is a 17 foot articulating and I got it on sale for $174.00 plus tax. Lifetime warranty. Only thing is...it is much heavier than advertised. Supposed to be 34-1/2 Lbs, but it feels like its 40 or more .
    I live in a mountain community so being able to level the legs is important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Chambers View Post
    I bought my ladder! I decided on the LG "Leveler" sold exclusivly by Lowes. It has intigrated leveling feet and wheels for rolling it around if needed. It is a 17 foot articulating and I got it on sale for $174.00 plus tax. Lifetime warranty. Only thing is...it is much heavier than advertised. Supposed to be 34-1/2 Lbs, but it feels like its 40 or more .
    I live in a mountain community so being able to level the legs is important to me.
    E,

Yes, the LG is on the heavy side. They used to make a lighter-duty ladder which was good for 250lb, but I don't see it on their website any more. Not sure why they gave it up. Now I'm concerned that they may have gotten rid of it because it was prone to failure. I guess I'll have to look online.

Hope you like your heavy ladder.

Yes, the LG is on the heavy side. They used to make a lighter-duty ladder which was good for 250lb, but I don't see it on their website any more. Not sure why they gave it up. Now I'm concerned that they may have gotten rid of it because it was prone to failure. I guess I'll have to look online.
    Did you look at:

- https://littlegiantladders.com/ladder/little-giant-lt/

- https://littlegiantladders.com/ladder/helium/

Those are light and lighter (okay, not 'lighter-than-air' "helium", but still "lighter") ladders.

I looked online and the one Elizabeth bought is listed at 37.5 pounds, makes for good strong people and strong backs, but no where near as heavy as my LG 26 footer. That was a 'two-person' ladder (really, it should have been listed as a two-person ladder), but I managed to carry it around and set it up by myself - the main issue I had was, be on the shorter side (5'6") I could barely reach past the pivot point of the center of gravity of that 26 footer. If you can't reach the center of gravity ... the ladder will take you with it ... if you don't let it fall on its own - always make sure that you can control the ladder when moving it around.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

Yes, the LT is the one I bought. I am not sure why, but I did not see any of these models. I had no idea they had so many. Good to know. I like my LT. I can't tell if the Helium comes in more than one size.

Unhappy Re: Ladders, should thease two brands even be compared?

Jerry,

Yes, the LT is the one I bought. I am not sure why, but I did not see any of these models. I had no idea they had so many. Good to know. I like my LT. I can't tell if the Helium comes in more than one size.
    Ya, I didn't see them either. I just couldn't swing paying $400.00 for a ladder right now. I was a strong woman just a few years ago! I stand 5'8 & 1/2". Remember it's got wheels so I can drag it around. The price was right. But, you guys are right, I won't be very happy with a ladder that's too heavy.

I will probably have to return it, save up my money a bit longer and get a lighter, more expensive, model.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Chambers View Post
    Ya, I didn't see them either. I just couldn't swing paying $400.00 for a ladder right now. I was a strong woman just a few years ago! I stand 5'8 & 1/2". Remember it's got wheels so I can drag it around. The price was right. But, you guys are right, I won't be very happy with a ladder that's too heavy.

I will probably have to return it, save up my money a bit longer and get a lighter, more expensive, model.
    E,

I still have my 17' LG that weighs a bunch and use it when my 13' isn't tall enough. I just wimped-out and bought the (somewhat) lighter and smaller one and use it a fair amount.

BTW, the 17- LG LT is $180 on their website and they offer "free" shipping.
    https://www.littlegiantladder.com/pr...=2482308284429

Old thread - but since we use ladders everyday, it worth commenting.

My goto ladder is actually the HD Xtend and Climb. I carry the 15.5' which is heavier but will get me into most interior accesses and all 1 story roofs. As the pictures in my article show its compact and easy to carry through a crowded home without banging walls etc. It does weigh about 40lbs.

I only pull out the LG 22' when I have the higher roofs to access. In the last year it has only been pulled out perhaps a dozen times. The inspections would be a good workout if I was lugging the LG out for each inspection.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956