Eric Laney Guest

Default Propane line advice needed

I live in a pier and beam home in the country. I currently have a propane tank in the back yard with buried galvanized pipe running from the tank, then under the house to a propane water heater in our hallway. I added a propane stove and a plumber teed in a length of CSST from the water heater stub to the kitchen stove. I would now like to move the water heater from the hallway to the garage. This means I need to run a new line under ground from the tank to the garage wall for the water heater. My plan is to then unhook one end of the CSST at the old water heater location, pass it through the kitchen wall, attach to exterior wall and tee into the new line at the garage wall location. I was going to use 3/4 soft copper with flare fittings from the tank, underground to the garage wall, then black pipe through the wall. At the outside I would add a threaded tee for the CSST to attach. The soil is clay alkaline, though I have seen many buried copper pipes hold up just fine after decades in this area. Just wanted to submit this plan for suggestions and tips. I read somewhere that one should use copper pipe that is rated for propane?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Propane line advice needed

Eric, I would get in touch with your propane supplier for suggestions on the type of underground supply line to use. They should be familiar with any problems with corrosion, etc. Copper is the material of choice around here for propane but since some areas have corrosive soils talking to a local expert would be wise. Also, there is a CSST product designed for a outdoor use that may be a cheaper choice than copper.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Cool Re: Propane line advice needed

You'll want either polyethylene coated copper or PE tubing. You'll want the second stage regulator at the house as close to the appliances as possible. You'll want a gas fitter or plumber to check the sizing charts to confirm tubing size and not guesstimate.

Undersized lines can cause delayed ignition, sooting, low heat output and callbacks. Get it done right.

HTH,
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Jack Ahern Guest

Default Re: Propane line advice needed

My 2 cents: I'm old school. After three generations of master plumbers/gas fitters(Aherns), I will only have black iron pipe in my building. OK to come off of the pipe with approved flex. to the appliance. We (Boston Area) lose some houses because of "leaking gas" that ignites.
    I like gas (methane or propane) in my house, but I have to be convinced that only competent licensed mechanics have installed/worked on the system.
    The State of Maine allows copper tubing use thru out the buildings./ The Brothers Ahern reworked the Bridgton Maine house to our satisfaction.
    My advice-- have a licensed mechanic provide you with advice(sizing), material, and labor regarding any gas installation. Don't fool around with gas.
    Go Pats