Default Old Inspection Reports

How long do you provide reports for clients. Just had a client call and request a report from over 3 years ago. Should I provide a copy of the report from that long ago?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Old Inspection Reports

This is coming from an inexpierienced HI, but, I would be reluctant to give a copy of an old report to them, mainly because that report does not represent the current condition of the house.

I might offer to review the summary of the problems you found with the house at the time of the inspection, over the phone with them. It is possible that giving them a copy of a report that is no longer relevant could open you up to litigation.
    If they want to know the condition of the house now, I would tell them they will need another inspection because the old report means nothing.

You're not going to find an easy answer. He may have printed the report out 3 years ago, and it can resurface whenever or maybe never. He may find the report after you refuse to resend it. Who knows. Maybe he'll email the agent and ask him/her if you don't help out.

Due to the vagaries, I don't try to second guess "why"; maybe they're selling and want to refer to the first report. You could strike up a dialogue and see if the reason is disclosed, it may not be anything to worry about.

I would just resend it, and remind him conditions have certainly changed.

Dom.

I would say, if he paid for it, it is his report.

Your client ask for a copy of his report... No problem. Most contracts here require past inspections be disclosed and most seller simply include the inspection report as part of their disclosure documents. There is no added liability that is not already addressed by your inspection agreement with the seller and your verbiage in the report itself. I would not hesitate to provide a the report to my client, part of expected customer service.

I regularly get notification that my clients have opened the report through the link I have provided many months and many years after the inspection. Never had an issue yet.

Don't worry, be happy!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I will send them if they ask. I have a 90 day limit on the download, so if its longer than that, I have to change the settings in ISN. If its several years ago, there is a chance I don't even have it anymore. I had a hard drive fail and lost everything. That was just before I learned about Carbonite, and several duplicate back up systems.

I used to back up to C/D's, but found that when I went to one to try to get a file, it was corrupted. I now use a BU hard drive as well as Dropbox and Carbonite, AND Apple iCloud.

If they were my client, and I have it, I send it out. I've got almost all of mine back to 2003. I did come across one or two that I didn't seem to have in my hard drive. Not sure where they went.

- - - Updated - - -

That reminds me to back up the external and swap it out. I keep one at a safe deposit box in case of a fire or other computer problem.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA