daniel nantell Guest

Default new Illinois radon law effective 1-1-08

Does the new mandatory radon test required by all home sold in Illinis require additional training by the Home Inspectors performing the test, I was told by a employee at Lowes that they had to take the kits off the shelf as of 12-31-07, any info. would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: new Illinois radon law effective 1-1-08

Only a person performing radon measurement on a dwelling in which that person resides may perform a measurement without a Radon Measurement License from the IEMA. IEMA recommends that homes involved in a real estate transaction have radon measurements performed by a Radon Measurement Licensee. IEMA believes that it is neither in the best interest of the buyer or seller to rely on a measurement that is not performed by a licensee.
    This is from the Il. radon web site.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

BTW, I think you got some other erroneous information, check out the state website.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by daniel nantell View Post
    Does the new mandatory radon test required by all home sold in Illinis require additional training by the Home Inspectors performing the test, I was told by a employee at Lowes that they had to take the kits off the shelf as of 12-31-07, any info. would be appreciated.
    Here's the link to the IL Radon Awareness Act:

420** ILCS 46/&ChapterID=37&ChapterName=NUCLEAR%20SAFETY&ActName =Illinois%20Radon%20Awareness%20Act

There's nothing in there that requires radon testing. It's mainly for disclosure.
    Also there's nothing in there about homeowners not being able to test for radon themselves. I don't know why Lowes had to remove the test kits.

Small thread drift!

I'm seeing a distrubing pattern of home insepctors (mostly newer inspectors for some reason) getting information from the Big Box stores and thinking that it correct when it is wrong 99% of the time.

This is from another thread:

Re: PEX being phased out by Jan 1st?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eric Laney
    As a follow up, I've been in both Home Depot and Lowes since the 1st, and PEX is still on the shelf, plus no employee has heard of the recall.
    If you have a question you need to go to the source or the manufacturer and do not depend on retail stores or home inspector folklore to get the correct answer. It is not that difficult to call or email now a days.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Rick Maday Guest

Does the new mandatory radon test required by all home sold in Illinis .
    Daniel, as others have said this is NOT a requirement, the parties have to sign a radon disclosure (in addition to other disclosures).

require additional training by the Home Inspectors performing the test
    If you want to do Radon measurement you do need additional training/cert. see IEMA Division of Nuclear Safety for more info.

Rick

In Illinois the new law is just a form that realtors have to provide with the contract any knowledge of radon, and the opportunity to test for radon. It is not mandatory to get a radon test.

In Illinois you have to have a license to perform radon testing or mitigation.

Home inspectors are also licensed in Illinois. So if you want to perform radon testing it means 2 license fees, 2 different sets of continuing education to maintain the license.