Question TPR valve pipe termination

Came across this water heater the other day. No drain pan, but I believe it's grandfathered in and not required. But I am confused about how the TPR relief is terminated. Shouldn't there be an air gap of at least 1 1/2 in (3/4 in. cpvc pipe) from the floor? This pipe terminates into the unfinished crawl space under the house. Is this allowed?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: TPR valve pipe termination

UPC 608.5 Relief valves located inside a building shall be provided with a drain, not smaller than the relief valve outlet, of galvanized steel, hard drawn copper piping and fittings, CPVC, or listed relief valve drain tube with fittings which will not reduce the internal bore of the pipe or tubing (straight lengths as opposed to coils) and shall extend from the valve to the outside of the building with the end of the pipe not more than two (2) feet (610 mm) nor less than six (6) inches (152 mm) above the ground or the flood level of the area receiving the discharge and pointing downward. Such drains may terminate at other approved locations. No part of such drain pipe shall be trapped or subject to freezing. The terminal end of the drain pipe shall not be threaded.

And.....

504.6 Requirements for discharge piping.
    The discharge
    piping serving a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve
    or combination thereof shall:
    1. Not be directly connected to the drainage system.
    2. Discharge through an air gap located in the same room
    as the water heater.
    3. Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the
    valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.
    4. Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping
    serving any other relief device or equipment.
    5. Discharge to the floor, to an indirect waste receptor or
    to the outdoors. Where discharging to the outdoors in
    areas subject to freezing, discharge piping shall be first
    piped to an indirect waste receptor through an air gap
    located in a conditioned area.
    6. Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal
    injury or structural damage.
    7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable
    by the building occupants.
    8. Not be trapped.
    9. Be installed so as to flow by gravity.
    10. Not terminate more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the
    floor or waste receptor.
    11. Not have a threaded connection at the end of such piping.

www.1stproinspection.com

Certified Master Inspector
    Like Us On Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/1stproinspection/

Thanks Roy for posting the code. If I'm reading it right, it's in violation of #7 in that the homeowner can't see the end of the pipe and therefore not even know if the TPR valve has opened. Is that correct as you see it?

Also is the homeowner violating #2 by not having an air gap in the same room; and possibly #5 in not allowing for possibility of freezing?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Laird View Post
    Thanks Roy for posting the code. If I'm reading it right, it's in violation of #7 in that the homeowner can't see the end of the pipe and therefore not even know if the TPR valve has opened. Is that correct as you see it?
    #2 and #7, in my opinion. Remember we are not code inspectors so be carefull quoting code to your cients or stating something is in violation of code in your report. It can get you in trouble, should you be mistaken.
    We do not have the authority to state that any component in the home is in violation of code, only municipal code inspectors are allowed to say something is in violation of code. (Please correct me if I am wrong here)
    You may however, use code as back up in order to prove that what you say is correct, if you are challenged by someone who says that you are wrong, or its not a problem, or tells the client that you are just being picky.
    I am a brand spanking new inspector so take it with a grain of salt. This is how I understand it to be.
    Ok let the beatings begin!! Am I wrong about this?

That code language also says, "such drains may terminate at other approved locations"

So, approved by who? The local AHJ? Perhaps they approved that installation.