Default Notching and drilling holes in main beam

Inspected a 17 year old house today, the main beam was comprised of 3 2x10 joists. The holes were 5 1/4 " long, this cant be acceptable ? Does anyone know the max nothing allowed for a 2x10 beam.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Notching and drilling holes in main beam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    Inspected a 17 year old house today, the main beam was comprised of 3 2x10 joists. The holes were 5 1/4 " long, this cant be acceptable ? Does anyone know the max nothing allowed for a 2x10 beam.
    Check out this image. I have not verified it for accuracy but looks right at first glance.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Sam,
    R5002.8.1, same today as it was in IRC 2000; Sawn Lumber. Notches in solid lumber joists, rafters and beams shall not exceed one-sixth of the depth of the member, shall not be longer than one-third of the depth of the member and shall not be located in the middle one-third of the span. Notches at the ends of the member shall not exceed one-fourth the depth of the member. The tension side of the members 4 inches (102 mm) or greater in nominal thickness shall not be notched except at the ends of the members. The diameters of holes bored or cut into members shall not exceed one-third the depth of the member. Holes shall not be closer than 2 inches (51 mm) to the top or bottom of the member, or to any other hole located in the member. Where the member is also notched, the hole shall not be closer than 2 inches (51 mm) to the notch.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hagenlock View Post
    Sam,
    R5002.8.1, same today as it was in IRC 2000; Sawn Lumber. Notches in solid lumber joists, rafters and beams shall not exceed one-sixth of the depth of the member, shall not be longer than one-third of the depth of the member and shall not be located in the middle one-third of the span. Notches at the ends of the member shall not exceed one-fourth the depth of the member. The tension side of the members 4 inches (102 mm) or greater in nominal thickness shall not be notched except at the ends of the members. The diameters of holes bored or cut into members shall not exceed one-third the depth of the member. Holes shall not be closer than 2 inches (51 mm) to the top or bottom of the member, or to any other hole located in the member. Where the member is also notched, the hole shall not be closer than 2 inches (51 mm) to the notch.

Mark
    Thank You

I'm glad I saw this post. I don't think I've ever seen holes or notching in beams. I've seen it many times in joists and always applied the IRC rules. Although I've not seen beams with holes or notching, at least I now know the same rules apply.

I don't have the commentary with me where I am, but my recollection is that bored and cut applies to 'round' hole:
    - bored with a drill bit
    - cut with a hole saw

Otherwise, such as shown but not as shown, one could "cut" a hole allowing enough wood above and below the "hole" (the hole shown does not leave enough wood above or below the hole), then make the "hole" as wide as they wanted too ... i.e., removing basically all the wood in one-third of the rafter/joist.

A"round" hole can be predicted because the diameter (width) is controlled by the limitations of hole size, placement, and material size - the hole "width" is limited to the diameter permitted by height.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I'm glad I saw this post. I don't think I've ever seen holes or notching in beams. I've seen it many times in joists and always applied the IRC rules. Although I've not seen beams with holes or notching, at least I now know the same rules apply.
    Same here, I have never seen this in a main beam before