Thread: Washer, Dryer

Default Washer, Dryer

Do any or all of you inspect washer and dryers. I personally don't and heres why. A person called me today saying I inspected there home and the washing machine started to leak after during the first week they moved in. They said they don't know what is leaking wether it's the hoses or the unit. It flooded there living room and wanted an explanation why I didn't tell them there was something wrong with it.

After they gave me the address while still on the phone I could not find the report. It turned out they called the wrong company. After that call I think I am going to put a disclaimer about hoses on washers can not be checked or determine the life expectancy and the same about the washer and dryer.

What do you think?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Default Re: Washer, Dryer

Around here, washers and dryers are not typically included in the transaction and are not built-in appliances. They are also not included in our state mandated form which lists the appliances which we inspect or not. I think it might be wise to include it in your contract just to be safe though.
    I do disclaim washer drain lines from inspection as a general rule.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I always wrote, for all appliances I 'checked' "operated through one cycle only".

*Always* look for water hoses with a blister on them, they are getting ready to pop!

If you stated you 'did not inspect the clothes washer' and the hoses burst, they would *still* call you and expect you to cover that as *you should have at least looked at the hoses*, and they would be correct (in my opinion, anyway).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    Do any or all of you inspect washer and dryers. I personally don't and heres why. A person called me today saying I inspected there home and the washing machine started to leak after during the first week they moved in. They said they don't know what is leaking wether it's the hoses or the unit. It flooded there living room and wanted an explanation why I didn't tell them there was something wrong with it.

After they gave me the address while still on the phone I could not find the report. It turned out they called the wrong company. After that call I think I am going to put a disclaimer about hoses on washers can not be checked or determine the life expectancy and the same about the washer and dryer.

What do you think?
    Mike,

Looking at NC Board Rules effective Jan. 1 2008 in .1109 Plumbing on page 15 section

(C) The home inspector shall operate all plumbing fixtures including their faucets and all exterior faucets attached to the house, except where the flow end of the faucets is connect to an appliance.

I don't know how you could operate a washer if you can't verify it has a water supply to avoid damaging the appliance.

I don't inspect W & D. Only free standing to inspect for me is the Range.

Scanning the NC Board Rules Life Expectancy is expressly not required.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Always look in appliances before you turn them on.

Especially Laundry Dryers! You just never know when you could start a fire in a dryer because some idiot filled it with paper.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

I do look at the washer and hoses but I do not run the washer through a cycle. I will turn it on briefly to verify that it does attempt to function. There's too much water involved and I've heard too many horror stories from other guys about bad washers.
    I do check the dryers first and run them. While the dryer is running I'll check the exterior flapper to see if it actually opened. I find more dryers with the vents just run into the wall/ceiling somewhere than actually run outside.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Richard Moore Guest

I do test them, briefly, while I look around, behind etc. I put the washer on the lowest water setting, warm, let it fill and start agitating, and then move the selector to "spin" to check pump-out, drain, and "balance". Maybe 5 minutes, normally. The dryer at the same time, just enough to ensure heat and no weird noises. I then report that they were run through brief cycles and functioned normally (or not).

I learnt not to walk too far away from them early on after a water level sensor failed and the washer overflowed. Everyone had fun mopping up that mess. Vacant home, and I suspect it was a newly installed but second-hand "refurbished" unit.

It's not my style to clog up a report with specific disclaimers but you might want to add something about only being responsible for homes you actually inspected.

I'll turn on a Dryer every now and then,but never Washers.I always suggest Upgraded Steel braided supply hoses and a Drain Pan connected to the waste line if it's on the second floor or in a finished area,and always note in the report that said items were not evaluated during the inspection if you dont run them.

Rick,

Sooo ... that's what "laundered money" looks like?

(TM would have had a field day there! )

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The easiest way to protect yourself from hose problems is simple:

"I recommend changing the clothes washer supply hoses prior to first use. Metal braded hoses are stronger and will last longer than the 'rubber' type. When not in use, you should get into the habit of turning off the water supply to help prevent any leakage."

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

I do not check washers and dryers. I also don't look at the hoses, since they are part of the personal property that the sellers are going to take with them (at least 99% of the time).

I have a blurb in my report that tells my clients they should install new hoses (on their washing machine) when they move in.

I will run the dryer to check air flow (after looking inside) and the electrical outlet.

Refrigerators are also something that hardly ever stays with the house. I tell my clients I don't check refigerators, or the ice maker line.

I also don't check portable dishwashers.