Thread: valley weave

Default valley weave

I don't get to see a lot of valley weaves. How's this look?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: valley weave

I can't see any issues John. No exposed nailheads and no buckling on the shingle surfaces. There's so much you can't see in regard to the installation of these types of valleys

Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 01-05-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Thanks Nick. I knew there was something about trimming corners off, but apparently you can't see if this has been done.

Chad Fabry Guest

It looks pretty nice. You cut the corners on closed cut valleys.

Weaving or plaiting shingles is a lost art.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

When weaving a valley, it is best to have a full tab at the valley. That photo shows full tabs starting after the water has already gone in under it.

Some of those, such as the lower left, and the 4th and 5th courses up on the right, are over exposed (as are others).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Chad Fabry Guest

I think I understand what you're saying Jerry, but having a full tab in the valley for every shingle would require significant effort: you can only adjust a shingle in specific increments that are determined by the keyway repeat pattern and one must be careful that the butts weren't too frequently aligned as the course approached the valley.

For it to work they'd have to start the courses in the valley and it might not work at all depending on pitch. It'd be almost impossible for it to work on a valley where the two roof pitches were different as that style of valley requires an occasional double coursing on one roof plane to keep the valley from wandering off to the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Fabry View Post
    but having a full tab in the valley for every shingle would require significant effort:
    Quite correct.

For it to work they'd have to start the courses in the valley ...
    Correct again.

And make the difference up a few singles out from the valley (assuming the shingle laying started at the gable) or just continue running the shingles out to the gable (basically laying the shingles in the reverse direction).

Typically, on the better ones I've seen (which were few and far between) they would start at the gable as they normally would, get near the valley, then start at the valley and work their way back toward the previously laid shingles, making small adjustments to the shingle length as they worked back toward the previously laid shingles). Upon close examination, you could tell what they cut where, but not at first glance.

Weaving a valley *IS* 'a lot of extra work', so most opt 'not do it' instead of 'doing it just however it comes out'.

I suspect that may be one reason why cut valleys are so common. Lay one side, lay the other side and cut it back 2" from the center of the valley in a straight line (of course, then we find where they laid the wrong side first ).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John,

Here's what is seldom seen nowadays
    Note the square tab through the valley

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Barry,

Nice photo of a nice woven valley!

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Fred Franks Guest

was I wrong for mentioning this valley weave?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Franks View Post
    was I wrong for mentioning this valley weave?
    Fred,

Yes if it was Dr. Frankenstein's House.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 01-25-2008 at 06:25 PM. Reason: yes from not
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Fred Franks Guest

The realtor called me and wanted to know why I had mentioned it. He also asked me "have you ever heard of lacing a valley?" and I asked him " have you ever heard of doing it right?" He then proceeded to tell me that it is not against code and he wanted me to change it. I would not

He also asked me "have you ever heard of lacing a valley?" and I asked him " have you ever heard of doing it right?"
    EXCELLENT response, Fred.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Fred Franks Guest

Thanks Jerry, and Billy, I needed the reassurance. I Am new at doing home inspections and try to do a good job, but I am not very popular with the realtors. I just tell it like I see it -He kinda intimidated me and I was worried I had said the wrong thing. I'm sure I will hear from him again on monday

Fred,

Go up to Barry's post with the well done woven valley, click on the photo, when it pops up, right click on it and save it to your computer.

When that agent calls on Monday, say 'Tell you what, I just happen to have a photo of a properly done woven valley, what is your e-mail address and I will sent it to you. That way YOU can compare the two photos, the 'good' one and 'yours'.'

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

--- I'm sure I will hear from him again on monday
    Fred,

No problem if it's not a poorly done amateur installation.

I'm sure The Professional Roofing Company that installed the roof will be glad to extend their Warranty to his client.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 01-26-2008 at 09:42 PM. Reason: added: be glad
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

kevin ingalls Guest

I need some help with a valley weave on a roof. I was informed this weave was OK. When I look at it there was debre and dirt under all the tabs
    Can I get a proffesional opinion on this
    Thanks Kevin

Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by kevin ingalls View Post
    I need some help with a valley weave on a roof. I was informed this weave was OK. When I look at it there was debre and dirt under all the tabs
    Can I get a proffesional opinion on this
    Thanks Kevin
    I can't tell anything from that picture. Did you get that out of a book?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

If that fuzzzy pic is the roof you are asking about, no, it is wrong. The shingles should not go way through the valley and up the other side like that.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Standing there last week with the current owner (my client at a water intrusion inspection) - who had just paid to have this roof installed - my first look at this valley (which was my first look at the roof) sort of left me at a loss for words for a moment...

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com