Tommy steam Guest

Smile Insulating a non climate control garage

Good afternoon, first of all I live in central florida between Ocalla and Orlando. My 2 1/2 car garage non insulated is very hot in the summer as you can imagine. I have installed insulation on my garage doors but get radiant heat thru the ceiling later in the afternoon. My rafters are 2x6 x24 wide. I would like to install fiberglass batts in the garage ceiling to help reduce the heat coming thru. This garage is attached to the house and house and garage are cement block. The walls are block walls and I will leave them that way. The rest of the house has blown in R30 in the living areas. I prefer to use batts to do the garage ceiling. Now, do I use unfaced fiberglass batts or ones with kraft paper? I know I wil never get a cool garage but I feel doing the ceiling will help with the brutal heat radiating down in the afternoon, thank you . As a note,I lived in the north and understand the vapor barrier situation there, but am very unsure here in hot, humid Florida. Im thinking being the garage will be roughly the same temps as the outside I don't need a vapor barrier. Thanks,Tommy

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Insulating a non climate control garage

If the garage is not conditioned (no A/C) then you don't need a vapor barrier.

I live in the Orlando area and have attic insulation above my garage. It barely helps at all, still scorching hot in there, just as an FYI.

Dom.

Tommy steam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    If the garage is not conditioned (no A/C) then you don't need a vapor barrier.

I live in the Orlando area and have attic insulation above my garage. It barely helps at all, still scorching hot in there, just as an FYI.

Dom.
    Hi Dom ,thanks for the reply .. I may just put some r19 up myself .had a guy quote me about 900 for r 30 ,but if it does not really help I'm thinking forget that. I put insulation on the garage doors which face east and that does help as I dont have that brutal sun beating on it. Before I did that I think you could fry an egg on the doors. At least it stays cooler till that sun comes up and starts beating on the attic roof. Tom

I had the garage sprayed with R-38 spray foam insulation (on underside of roof sheathing) when the entire house attic was done in the spring of 2017 (changed to a sealed attic from a vented attic for the house area). Being as the garage is not conditioned space, the underside of the roof was insulated down to the bottom, leaving the soffit vents open for ventilation.

While I wouldn't recommend doing that to the garage if only doing the garage, but it has helped, both in the garage attic (which is 12 feet up to the ridge from the garage attic floor) and in the garage.

The garage is still quite warm, but not as hot as it was - but we live in Florida, and Florida is know for "not being cold" (and "not being cold" means the reverse is true ... "it gets hot in Florida" ...

I have a couple of fans I turn on in the garage, and over the last couple of days have considered installing ceiling fans in the garage for when I am working out there.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Tommy steam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I had the garage sprayed with R-38 spray foam insulation (on underside of roof sheathing) when the entire house attic was done in the spring of 2017 (changed to a sealed attic from a vented attic for the house area). Being as the garage is not conditioned space, the underside of the roof was insulated down to the bottom, leaving the soffit vents open for ventilation.

While I wouldn't recommend doing that to the garage if only doing the garage, but it has helped, both in the garage attic (which is 12 feet up to the ridge from the garage attic floor) and in the garage.

The garage is still quite warm, but not as hot as it was - but we live in Florida, and Florida is know for "not being cold" (and "not being cold" means the reverse is true ... "it gets hot in Florida" ...

I have a couple of fans I turn on in the garage, and over the last couple of days have considered installing ceiling fans in the garage for when I am working out there.
    Thank you for that information.