Default Happy with your liicense?

Now that you have licensing in your state or province, is the world a better place for you?

For me, it eliminated a few competitors that were part-timers. The required E+O, and training, annual continuous ed and the fees make it hard to operate on the cheap. I started this thread chiefly to bump that other thread off the page. Cheers!

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Default Re: Happy with your liicense?

The licensing requirement cut down on the part timers or bad inspectors a bit but I'm not sure it had a huge influence. We have enough volume around here for the el cheapo guys to still get a lot of agent referrals for their $150-$199 checkbox idiot reports.
    Licensing and CE has probably helped get some of the old timers closer to modern speed and standards for what really should be done rather than what they were providing 30 years ago. Some of the old timers are pretty bad in terms of smart competence. Some of the old timers are actually pretty good but have had a hard time adjusting their viewpoint to reflect modern standards. I'm always amazed when I go to a meeting and some old fart inspector asks a really basic question completely serious. Its kind of bizarre what they don't know.
    Licensing has helped more in terms of dealing with contractors and agents who like to talk smack.
    The biggest advantage of licensing is being able educate the public about what an HI is, is not and should provide the client.
    As reference some moron recently priced a 10,000 sqft. house plus 4000 sqft. coachhouse for less than $1000. Imagine how useless and pathetic that report must be. Obviously its those inspectors who reflect poorly on our industry and provide a negative public perspective of what an HI does.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    As reference some moron recently priced a 10,000 sqft. house plus 4000 sqft. coachhouse for less than $1000.
    Curious as to what something like that goes for there for a quality inspector and quality report?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Licensing in Tennessee brought in a bunch of people wanting to get into the business, that may not had thought about it much. I think the number of inspectors doubled the first year, then fell off. I think we went from about 400+ inspectors the first year, to about 900 the second year. I don't think it eliminated any. The guys that couldn't, or didn't want to get a license still stayed in business. The State has been very slow enforcing regulations, though they are a lot better than they were 10 years ago.

I don't think licensing made any impact at all regarding the quality or pricing of inspections. It did add another wrinkle in the mix for when a lawsuit comes up. They have an additional aspect of being an unlicensed inspector.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    I'm always amazed when I go to a meeting and some old fart inspector asks a really basic question completely serious. Its kind of bizarre what they don't know..
    They knew enough to get into the profession 30 years ago and lay the groundwork for you Smarter, Younger whippersnappers.

Licensing was just getting under way when I first got into this business. I was actually happy to find a process that gave me guidance. Albeit limited, it gave me a path to follow.

Licensing was already in effect when I started. It provided a clear path to get started. The test weeds out the worst test takers who probably should not be inspecting. The continuing education requirements help to keep the part-timers committed since they must be ass in seat classroom hours in North Carolina, no online training. Membership in associations was not particularly important to most buyers or agents, just if you were licensed. Licencing costs about $350 $400 a year for con-ed, and $350 a year for renewal. Not really a financial hardship for a full time inspector.

Operate in Georgia now with no licensing or rules.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Licensing in Tennessee brought in a bunch of people wanting to get into the business
    Of course. Licensing doesn't keep anyone out. Are you makin' sweeter love in the midnight hour now that some government agency issued you a little piece of paper that every other practicing home inspector in your state has?

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Curious as to what something like that goes for there for a quality inspector and quality report?
    Hopefully more than a lousy $1000. Thats a joke.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Agreed, but providing what is reasonable for that work in that area would be beneficial to all readers.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Agreed, but providing what is reasonable for that work in that area would be beneficial to all readers.
    I can only imagine its pretty expensive. I visited Chicago when my son was in the Navy a few years ago and just marveled at how beautiful (and old) the homes were where we were staying. I could also imagine how time consuming it would be to sift through that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I can only imagine its pretty expensive. I visited Chicago when my son was in the Navy a few years ago and just marveled at how beautiful (and old) the homes were where we were staying. I could also imagine how time consuming it would be to sift through that stuff.
    This is an example of why providing inspection cost helps all - I have a friend who is in the process of inspecting a house down in South Florida where I used to inspect, the house he is inspecting is 14,000 sf @ $0.50 sf.

For most inspectors, that inspection fee would be mind-boggling ($7,000) - but that is what some inspectors get in those markets with houses like that.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This is an example of why providing inspection cost helps all - I have a friend who is in the process of inspecting a house down in South Florida where I used to inspect, the house he is inspecting is 14,000 sf @ $0.50 sf.

For most inspectors, that inspection fee would be mind-boggling ($7,000) - but that is what some inspectors get in those markets with houses like that.
    I think for a lot of the "newbie" inspectors it sounds like a lot. But for those of us, like yourself and others on this board, who put a great deal of time into perfecting their craft, being thorough, doing research afterwards when necessary and just caring for the buyer, a fee like that is respectable.