Default Ligjtnimg storms, a question:

Asking this because I am curious and serious both.
    Up on a roof or on your metal ladder, how close does a flash of lightning have to be before you decide that you had better get down and seek shelter?

I heard some interesting info about how far away from a thunderstorm, that lightning can strike. It can strike more than three miles away from the storms location and srikes out of the blue can strike 12 miles away from the thunderstorm.

Also, if you count to 5 between seeing the flash and hearing the thunder, the storm is only one mile away from you. Any stories to share?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Elizabeth Chambers; 06-18-2018 at 12:40 AM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Ligjtnimg storms, a question:

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Chambers View Post
    Asking this because I am curious and serious both.
    Up on a roof or on your metal ladder, how close does a flash of lightning have to be before you decide that you had better get down and seek shelter?

I heard some interesting info about how far away from a thunderstorm, that lightning can strike. It can strike more than three miles away from the storms location and srikes out of the blue can strike 12 miles away from the thunderstorm.

Also, if you count to 5 between seeing the flash and hearing the thunder, the storm is only one mile away from you. Any stories to share?
    I don't go on roofs if I see or hear lightning or thunder. The closer it gets the more urgent my response becomes. That said, once the immediate threat passes, I'm back outside at work, just common sense. I live and work in a lightening prone area; There is no way to totally avoid all risk or I would not be able to do any inspection anytime.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas