Thread: Quality Work?

William Mize Guest

Default Quality Work?

My cusin is building a house in a small town in western Oklahoma, i was there New Years Day. He asked me to look at the work that had been done. I thought I would share some pictures and see what you think. I know the picture quality isn't good but getting a better camera is in my resoultions for this year (soon).

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Quality Work?

Unfortunately I have seen worse!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Kevin Barre Guest

William--
    your 'cuz has some problems headed his way if he doesn't get some things changed. I can't tell what's going on with the roof framing in those shots, but the I-joist attachment details are decidedly wrong. You can't merely toenail the top and bottom chords, nor can you nail blocks beside the webs as some sort of support. The manufacturer of the joists supplies hardware that must be used in those applications. They also have very specific requirements for web stiffeners and squash blocks in certain situations. Those things must be done or failures down the line are likely. If there is not a competent municipal code inspector locally to straighten things out, he needs to hire a private inspector well versed in new construction phase inspections.

BILL JACQUES Guest

Go to Certainteed.com and simpsonstrongtie.com and you can find lots of info on the correct type hangers needed for the I-joists and the correct installation for I-joists.

Good Luck

Bill Jacques

I agree, also picture 0012.jpg shows two 2x4's holding up two beams.

You can see the 2x4's bending already. They need at least four 2x4's there.

Last edited by Bruce King; 01-08-2008 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added picture name

The same shot that Bruce mentioned also has two beams stacked and has nothing showing in the picture to prevent rotation of the beams.
    Definitely need a good inspector before it gets covered up.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

mike huntzinger Guest

Thumbs down Re: Quality Work?

I agree with you guys ,that a much larger support post is needed for the 4x14 headers, and Ive never seen a stacked header. no side-ways support between the two headers

William Mize Guest

Thanks Guys;

As I said in my original post this is a small town in western Ok. This isn't the end of the earth but I think you can see it from here. If there are any codes there isn't any code enforcement, shucks, they can't spell kod's and think it is a captolistic plot to make houses more expensive.

I appreciate the input and you have answered several of my questions already. If more pictures are needed I can get more. I am learning more all the time about construction and want to learn.

Thanks again willie

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by William Mize View Post
    ... If there are any codes there isn't any code enforcement ...
    Out of curiosity ... did the State of Oklahoma adopt the IRC v-XXXX for "across the state" basics?

Texas has adopted "state wide" one version of the IRC ... many municipalities have since adopted newer releases ... but at least there was/is the one basic state adoption.

TX inspectors ... keep me honest here. This is what I was "told" many years ago and have used the same comment with builders doing work "out in the county" ... so to speak.

Darrel Hood Guest

Regarding Texas code:
    I am new to this forum so please tolerate any newbie issues.

Almost all of my business is new construction phase inspections in Montgomery Co. in TX. Each municipality adopts its desired code revision and may modify it for local use. In the counties, the code used in the county seats is applicable.

However, in many small municipalities and in most county areas, there is no code enforcement. Therefore, there is in effect, no code. However, the legislature passed a law in Sept. 2007 that will apply to housing starts after Sept. 2008.

In a nutshell, the law requires the builder in areas without enforcement to hire a third party inspector to accomplish a prepour, preinsulation and final inspection and report completion of the inspections to the TRCC.

I hope this helps with the previous question.