Default New (for me) dishwasher feature

I inspected a new house yesterday that had an odd feature with the dishwasher. The door pops opens when its done to vent the steam.
    Its was very odd. I'm in the house alone, and I walk into the kitchen and the dishwasher door is open about 6". For a second, I thought that someone had come in and opened it. I tried to close the door, but it wouldn't latch. There was a "2" in the LED.
    I found the manual and started reading. Apparently this is a feature of this dishwasher. It opens the door when the cycle is finished, and locks the door for 2 minutes.
    If I hadn't found the manual, I'm not sure how I would have handled it. Truly strange.

I'm not sure how I would like that feature. Small children might be encouraged to dig around inside, possibly injuring themselves, or breaking dishes (broken glass, sharp knives, etc). Second, at least my dog will snoop around the dishwasher when its open, seeing if there are any interesting food residue for her.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: New (for me) dishwasher feature

Jack,

Good to know. I have not run into that yet. What brand?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Good point about small children touching hot stuff... I had thought that I wouldnt want the steam venting in my kitchen on a hot summer day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Jack,

Good to know. I have not run into that yet. What brand?
    Samsung if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Samsung if I remember right.
    Thanks. Samsung has been coming up with some interesting things in their appliances.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Second, at least my dog will snoop around the dishwasher when its open, seeing if there are any interesting food residue for her.
    Yes, our beagles are the pre-wash cycle for dirty dishes around here.

It's called Flash Drying. It actually drys the dishes faster. I do manually at home all the time.

Ive never had a door pop open like that.

Thanks for the heads up, and I definently wouldn't want that at my house between a curious lab and twin 11.5 month boys I can on,y imagine what could happen lol

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the heads up, and I definently wouldn't want that at my house between a curious lab and twin 11.5 month boys I can on,y imagine what could happen lol

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Mike Pagozalski- Florida Home Inspector #HI9519, Radon Measurement Technician R2530, Exterior Design Institute #FL131, ITC Level II Thermographer #150761
    Tallahassee's Home Inspection Team

I inspected a new house yesterday that had an odd feature with the dishwasher. The door pops opens when its done to vent the steam.
    Its was very odd. I'm in the house alone, and I walk into the kitchen and the dishwasher door is open about 6". For a second, I thought that someone had come in and opened it. I tried to close the door, but it wouldn't latch. There was a "2" in the LED.
    I found the manual and started reading. Apparently this is a feature of this dishwasher. It opens the door when the cycle is finished, and locks the door for 2 minutes.
    If I hadn't found the manual, I'm not sure how I would have handled it. Truly strange.

I'm not sure how I would like that feature. Small children might be encouraged to dig around inside, possibly injuring themselves, or breaking dishes (broken glass, sharp knives, etc). Second, at least my dog will snoop around the dishwasher when its open, seeing if there are any interesting food residue for her.
    This dishwasher feature is to let off all the moisture in the air inside and so, the drying of the dishes become easier and faster. There also is a feature where you can turn off this mode to keep children or pets safe or for safety against any sudden shock.

Yes. Just put one in at our new house. Ours is a Bosch. You can use the feature or not, but in our climate it is perfect because it will dry the dishes out in 5-6 hours if the door is open without using any of the dryer cycle energy.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA