Ray Parker Guest

Default New Inspector from Knoxville,TN

I recently finished meeting the requirements for state certification and am waiting for a reply to my application for state certification. I have been in construction and engineering for 20 years and graduated from college in 2001 with a degree in computer science. I decided some time back to start a business and was very interested in this profession. I have dealt with many home inspectors in the past through my occupation. I currenlty design roof and floor truss systems for residential and commerical applications. I just wanted to tell everyone a little about myself and say hello. I do have a question for anyone that is willing to offer some advice. What advice can all who have been through new business startup offer to help make the first year a bit more successful in the way of leads, resources, dos and don't and so on. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: New Inspector from Knoxville,TN

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Parker View Post
    What advice can all who have been through new business startup offer to help make the first year a bit more successful in the way of leads, resources, dos and don't and so on. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    Welcome Ray! There is an archive from the previous incarnation of InspectionNews at
    InspectionNews.com - Home Inspection Home Inspector

Try searching on "getting started" in the "chit chat" category and hopefully you'll find a bunch of info.

Last edited by John Arnold; 01-09-2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: don't need no stinking reason

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Parker View Post
    What advice can all who have been through new business startup offer to help make the first year a bit more successful in the way of leads, resources, dos and don't and so on. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    Have a spouse with a good job! Seriously, it will take about 3 years to build up your business and referral base.

Just search the topic and you should find a ton of post. I would say that this question comes up about 5+ times a week.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Patrick McCaffery Guest

I'm no expert, as I started Liberty Home Inspections Inc. in May of 2007. My advise would be to network as often as you can. Join your local Chamber of Commerce and get involved. Continue what you are doing and that is ask anyone who has had experience starting a business. Read the book, "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. Another good book is, Guerrilla Marketging for Free" by Jan Conrad Levinson.
    Keep asking questions and good luck.

Patrick McCaffery

Don Belmont Guest

Hi Ray,

I'm 2 years into the process myself. My top thoughts to your query.

1. Be aware of what it costs you to be in business and price your services accordingly. The idea that you will be able to raise your prices to a profitable level down the road is nonsense. If you aren't priced to make a living when you reach a reasonable sales volume then what are you doing in this business? (or any for that matter)

2. On that thought then you need to build value into your service to differentiate yourself and justify a fair price for yourself. Examine the services people want and don't get from your competition and offer them as part of your packages. Do not use your comptetitors prices as a guide to your own as almost invariably they will have only guessed at whether they made sense financially. (I warn yo that if you follow 1 and 2 you may very well decide not to be in this business as there are many HI's who think cheap is the only way to sell)

3. Have a good website and use Google adwords and other online venues to build a source of business independent from the used house sales people. (very important as their interests are not your own)

4. Be careful of print advertising. It is expensive. You pay up front. It is expensive (ok said that) and you pay before you know if it produces a thing. If you try it go with short commitment and make darn sure you track calls and conversions (sales) to see if it is working (making you money).

5. Related to website. remember if a potential customer finds you they already know they want a home inspection so sell thm one. Don't load your front page up with reasons to have a HI. Load it with reasons they should call you to get the HI they already know they want and need. And don't use lowest price as the reson or someone will eat your lunch. Sell from quality and service. Not from price.

6. Remember that people buy emotionally, not rationally. They will justify their decision rationally but it is the emotion that makes the sale. Make them feel good about you and they will hire you. Then give them super service so t hey can feeel good about telling all their friends.

7. Tie into a local trade association of your choice. (NACHI. ASHI, whatever) For one it gives you someone to complain to who will understand what you are going through. Besides, regardless of what you may see on thnis or any message board no one knows it all. Having guys close by in a pinch can save your butt.

8. Take credit cards. (Use PayPal at first as it has no ongoing cost.) If you offer them you will find that your customers will appreciate it. They will be less picky about price (my opinion of course) and it makes you look like a real business. (I know you are but getting started anything that says that to the public is good)

That's my quick take. Hope you find it helpful.

That should get you going.

Dennis Davis Guest

Hello Ray,

Welcome to the exciting and, although not yet in my case, rewarding career here in K-town. This is a great place to find tons of info from everyone who has been in the same position we are. The archive is great. Brian runs a good board and MOST of the people here are great.

I have only been in the business about 6 months. Take Scott's advice to heart. It is slow to start even with contacts in the industry. I have owned other businesses in the past and this one is very hard to market yourself to begin with. Network, make friends, ask questions, give out business cards like candy, and don't give up.

My background sounds very similar to yours. Drop me a line anytime.

Todd Thomas Guest

Welcome to the Team...Like Dennis I am new to this profession, within the past 6 months.
    There is a ton of knowledge here and most of the people are really helpful.
    I'm in Oak Ridge call if you like.

Good Luck
    Todd