Default Brick veneer and shed roof flashing

Can someone point me to installation instructions with photos of flashing details at veneer to shed roof?

I inspected this home for the one year warranty and flashing were wrong and weep holes were missing. Builder removed some of the veneer and made some repairs. After a recent significant storm event, water entered the home and ceilings below are damaged.

My guess is that wind-driven rain went under the flashing that is on top of the shingles and down into the home. Without pulling that flashing up, I cannot determine if flashing is present under the shingles and installed into the veneer.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Brick veneer and shed roof flashing

Water got in so it is inadequate.

Also check the slope of that roof. needs to be 4 in 12, or else it needs to be laid up as a low slope roof.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

What I think I am seeing - but is it that way?

Brick veneer with a through the wall flashing (but it looks like drip edge or window door cap flashing, so is it "through the wall"?), with a lot of weep holes (but are they clear, and are they all the way through the mortar bed to the back of the through the wall flashing?), then ...

This is the good part: a flashing set on top of the shingles on the shed roof, railed down through the shingles, with some sort of attempt to apply sealant over the nail heads (you don't surface nail through a flashing which you expect to be water tight as you just created water paths through the flashing - oh well, that is what it shows), and (the even better part) the vertical leg of that surface flashing is placed against the surface of the brick veneer, with some type of caulking/sealant applied along the top of the flashing, with an attempt made to seal back into the mortar joints.

First, when using a surface flashing, the flashing should have a top flange bent outward which provides two things: 1) strengthening to the top edge of the flashing; 2) a "V" groove into which sealant can be placed (and that is not there).

Second, when using a surface flashing, a surface flashing is not designed or intended to be used on a system which is not a surface drainage system, i.e., not on a system which has a drainage plane behind it (brick veneer is a drainage system with a minimum 1 inch air gap - yeah, right, like that is even there, with all the mortar which is likely bridging that "air" gap - and which has a designed in and intended drainage plane covering the wall surface behind the 1 inch minimum air gap).

Drainage systems require through the wall flashings which are back at the drainage plane.

The question should not be "Why does it leak?", the question should be "Why doesn't it leak as much as it was installed to leak?" ... as that installation is installed in such a way as to not stop much water.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bruce Barker at Dream Home Consultants has a wide variety of graphics showing proper techniques for virtually all building needs. He is the author of the code articles in the ASHI Reporter.

Also he lives in Cary NC so pop in and say Hi. Nice guy.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Bruce Ramsey; 09-28-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

This is where I've gotten my drawings and information from over the years (albeit the name has changed from Brick Institute of America to Brick Industry Association - keeping the same BIA letters in everything): http://www.gobrick.com/read-research/technical-notes

Water Penetration Resistance - Construction and Workmanship: http://www.gobrick.com/docs/default-...p.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Water Penetration Resistance - Materials: http://www.gobrick.com/docs/default-...s.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Water Penetration Resistance -Design and Detailing: http://www.gobrick.com/docs/default-...n.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Brick Veneer/Wood Studs (applicable to this discussion, and shows a drawing quite similar to that which Bruce posted, see page 5, Figure 2): http://www.gobrick.com/docs/default-...s.pdf?sfvrsn=0

However, in another business, the saying is "Follow the money.", in this business, the saying should be "Follow the water (path)."

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Also, the shingles on that roof look to me like they are installed incorrectly. I would check that out. However, pics can be deceiving, so I may be wrong. Does anyone else see it?

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Chambers View Post
    However, pics can be deceiving, so I may be wrong. Does anyone else see it?
    The photo is of such a small area that I can't establish a point of reference for the ends of the shingles, and then the photo would need to zoom in on those ends to verify those were shingle ends, then back out to an overall photo to try to determine shingle offset ... so I'm sticking to my elusive story of "I don't know and I can't tell from that photo" ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com