Thread: structure

cris donato Guest

Default structure

called for a STRUCTURAL ENGINEER REPORT on inspected property, engineer failed to go in the attic as part of his inspection even though the inspector noted "recent attic bracing added" on the report. there is visable roof sagging seen from the exterioroff the house.
    question is- is the attic and roof part of a structural inspection by an ENGINEER????
    thanx cris
    insp123@cox.net

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: structure

Quote Originally Posted by cris donato View Post
    ...question is- is the attic and roof part of a structural inspection by an ENGINEER????
    thanx cris
    insp123@cox.net
    You bet.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

I think any reputable SE would take a look in the attic to see if any movement of the rafters or ridge was present if he was doing his job correctly.

Nearly all the SE's I've ever seen on the job have entered the attic space.

We must keep in mind though that theses SE's are just people too and make errors. They are not God's.

I called out for a SE once due to excessive damages under a home due to wood decay, termites, etc.

The guy just walked the exterior of the home and said it looks great. The real story was it was on a July 3rd. before a holiday and he was in a hurry to get to go out of town. When the agent called me and said the SE said everything looked great, I picked up the phone and called him myself to ask if he even went under the house. He didn't.

He could have been buying that house if I hadn't made that call so he could go back out and re-inspect it before actually submitting his documents.

rick

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    ... He could have been buying that house if I hadn't made that call so he could go back out and re-inspect it before actually submitting his documents. Rick
    Rick,

You are far too kind!!

I have had several experiences with people not finding what I pointed out. When I ask if this or that was looked at or if this or that was done it will come out that they really didn't look at conditions as they should have. When you question people who write statements that everything is fine, and you push them hard enough, they'll back down off their claims. It burns me to no end that such people are so lazy.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL