Default Remote Panel Disconnect.

The feed to this panel is with 8ga copper. The protection at main service panel is 40A, so that looks ok. BUT there is a 100A disconnect on this panel. Although it only acts as a "disconnect device" is it ok to have this disconnect sized greater than the service feed??

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Default Re: Remote Panel Disconnect.

If I understand you correctly, there is a 40 amp double-pole circuit breaker at the service equipment connected to the #8 conductors that run from the service equipment to this panel. That 40 circuit breaker protects the feed conductors and limits the panel in your pic to 40 amps. As a result, the 100 amp breaker (it looks like it is factory installed) at the panel in your pic functions as a disconnect switch rather than a circuit breaker. I believe that to be acceptable. However, I would probably mention in my report that it is limited to 40 amps by the breaker in the service equipment.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

As Gunnar said, the 40 amp breaker protects the conductor, and everything downstream of it - so that feeder conductor, the panel, and all the circuits combined in that panel, are limited to 40 amps.

Also, as Gunnar said, I would report it (only I would report it slightly different) - I would make sure to explain that everything on the circuits in that panel, and the panel itself, is limited to the rating of the breaker protecting it ... 40 amps ... and further explain that the 40 amp breaker protecting that panel should not be replaced with a 100 amp breaker because the feeder conductor is only rated for (what type of cable/wiring is that #8? ... it might be rated for 50 amps or so, I don't have my code books with me).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    As Gunnar said, the 40 amp breaker protects the conductor, and everything downstream of it - so that feeder conductor, the panel, and all the circuits combined in that panel, are limited to 40 amps.

Also, as Gunnar said, I would report it (only I would report it slightly different) - I would make sure to explain that everything on the circuits in that panel, and the panel itself, is limited to the rating of the breaker protecting it ... 40 amps ... and further explain that the 40 amp breaker protecting that panel should not be replaced with a 100 amp breaker because the feeder conductor is only rated for (what type of cable/wiring is that #8? ... it might be rated for 50 amps or so, I don't have my code books with me).

Looks like NM cable. If it is NM cable it is limited to the 60 degree column in the code . Thus #8 NM is only good for 40 amperes