william siegel Guest

Default New roof installation

This roof is about 1 year old. Has anyone ever seen an installation like this.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: New roof installation

Can't say I have, but then I don't know much about how to secure a roof wind turbine in a hurricane zone like you are in.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Jerome W. Young Guest

maybe added the vent after the new roof and was confused about how gravity makes water drain down a roof.

Jerome W. Young Guest

it looks like the leading edge is towards the ridge, but i made that determination based on the shadow mostly, i could be wrong.
    Anyway I have not seen this particular senario. (fasteners)
    I dont like turbines in our area. They will have to be covered for every storm.

william siegel Guest

The roof is properly pitched and the screws are on the down slope. This is a 3/12 pitch roof

That install is perfectly acceptable according to MRC-675.2

(Mexican Residential Code}

"MRC-675.2 Se os gringos no saben que usted esta haciendo, no importa que se passa porque eles nunca ojan en cima de su casa"

Critical Home Inspection Services
    www.Home2Spec.com

Jerome W. Young Guest

well i dont know of any reason for a red flag other than ten fasteners seems a bit excessive. "I" probably would not make a comment about it, but see if Jerry has any input.

Bill,

It's not the number of fasteners (the more merrier, so to speak), but *everything else*.

It is installed with the exposed flashing downslope, that can be determined by the slots and the closing cut-outs at the top of the slots, but ...

Nothing else I see about that install is, shall we say, 'kosher'.

They should have removed the shingles all around that opening, sealed the base flashing down to the underlayment (30 lb dry-in), secured the base flashing down, then sealed the shingles (trimmed to fit around the vertical section) down to the base flashing, leaving none of the base flashing exposed and all shingles sealed down to each other around and on the base flashing.

In the HVHZ, you don't step flashing it like is done in other areas with lower risk of 'high wind events' .

All the above said, though, I'm not even sure that those wind turbines are approved for use in the HVHZ (Miami-Dade and Broward counties). Also, memory seems to be that only the externally braced ones were allowed there, and maybe are (or are not) still allowed there. However, during a 'high wind event', those things will need to be removed and 'wind turbine caps' installed in their place. Were there any wind turbine caps in the garage? I've only seen a few people have the caps, and, without the caps, the risk of losing those things during a high wind event is pretty great - of course, though, that does leave a rather substantial hole in the roof ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

william siegel Guest

Thanks Jerry.

Jonathan Clevenger Guest

You can also tell which way the shingles are laid b/c whoever installed it squirted some roof tar under the shingles. You can see some that has sqeezed out from under a couple shingles.

Michael, my eyes tell me your right, but according to William, the slope is correct. After looking real close, I think we were both fooled by an optical illusion.
    Jim

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Michael Larson Guest

I misread an earlier post and the posted pic played with my perception. So I deleted my pic.

Jerry is right about how it should be installed.

Is that 25 year silicone over the "fasteners" "

Every exposed fastener is a leak waiting to happen.

Critical Home Inspection Services
    www.Home2Spec.com

Best shot I could get of this as it was raining and I was not comfortable getting any further uphill on this roof. (Heck, I was not comfortable getting that far up this roof) .

A (real) roofer is going have to rework many details on this job, so I did not feel the need to get too specific about the B-Vent to roof junction, but ignoring the stack boot and the roofing cement at the B-Vent, the vent itself just does not look right to me.

Comments?

(Other pics are just there 'cause - well - "It was that sort of day, that sort of job"...)

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Michael Thomas; 01-28-2008 at 08:01 PM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

What's that white fuzzy stuff growing on that roof - mold?

Yeah, that roof 'needs a lot of re-doing', and you are being ever so kind using the term "roofer" for the person(s) who did that roof.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Richard Rushing Guest

Funny....

You did get that p-vent boot (1st pic) installed bass-ackwards. Right?

Man, That GSOB who did the roof penetrations and subsequent flashings jacked that job up!!

Sheesh... lots-a rework there.

Rich

A few specific questions

1) Other than common sense, is there an IRC or other requirement that the roof sheathing extend to or beyond the outer edge of the soffit?

2) Would it be "acceptable" to bridge that gap (around 1-1/2") with an extended "drip-edge like" flashing similar to the one in the in the pic below?

3) To get back to the furnace vent, other than the roofing cement, is the portion visible in the pictures above correct? The entire setup looks "wrong" to me, but I can't put my finger on why.

Michael Thomas

In Florida, that needs to be extended to the fascia/sub fascia as that panel edge would then be nailed to the fascia/sub fascia.

That's what keeps the roof on in high wind events. Allow wind to get up under the bottom edge of the roof sheathing and your roof becomes a wing and flies away, either in whole or in pieces.

I didn't see anything specific in the IRC or in APA E 30 either (referenced by the IRC).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks for looking. Guess I'll rely on the shingle manufacturer's instruction's drip-edge requirements - but those don't specify extending the sheathing to the soffit

Michael Thomas

Anyone have any comments of the furnace vent?

Michael Thomas

Have you looked at the requirements for "solid sheathing"?
    I don't have time right now, but a general requirement could be applied, since the code can't cover every possible screw up.
    Just put the picture in the report, that is enough reason for any reasonably intelligent person. (oh yeah, not all builders qualify on that)

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

1) Other than common sense, is there an IRC or other requirement that the roof sheathing extend to or beyond the outer edge of the soffit?
    Try this on for size, I just picked it up as a catch all reference when stuff is just stupid.

2003 IRC R 301.1. Design. Buildings and structures, and all parts thereof, shall be constructed to safely support all loads, including dead loads, live loads, roof loads, flood loads, snow loads, wind loads and seismic loads as prescribed by this code. The construction of buildings and structures shall result in a system that provides a complete load path capable of transferring all loads from their point of origin through the load-resisting elements to the foundation.

I would say shingles are not structurally capable of tranmitting roof, wind, snow, live loads to the frameing members since they are not rated for any span. Decking is required.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Guess I'll rely on the shingle manufacturer's instruction's drip-edge requirements -

but those don't specify extending the sheathing to the soffit
    "but those don't specify extending the sheathing to the soffit"

Are you sure of that? Are there any flashings intended to span 'structural air', or do they all require 'support' under them?

I'm guessing that no drip edge is intended to span 'structural air'.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Anyone have any comments of the furnace vent?
    First, though, did you notice the valley went from a 'cut valley' to a 'woven valley'? (see first photo)

You mean the string around the vent to pull yourself up with?

The vent as a flashing, a storm collar, and a Type B gas vent cap - what am I missing?

I see what looks like an exposed nail in the exposed flashing at the shingles.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com