Unhappy Passing of Dennis Parra Sr.

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of long-time CREIA member, Dennis Parra Sr..

Dennis Edward Parra Sr. was a 4th generation Californian and native San Diegan. He attended Our Lady of Angels School,
    St. Augustine High School and received a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Business from National University. Dennis served his country in the US Air Force, with 33 combined years of active duty and reserves, in which he was involved in both photography and civil engineering. Dennis spent 20 years at San Diego Gas & Electric Company serving in various capacities, including marketing planner, construction and builder representative, supervisor of the energy conservation sales department, and established the energy information office. Dennis was President of Parra & Sons, which was a corporation with his father Ernest, brother Ernie, and son Dennis performing general contracting, roofing, and insulation work. For the last 40 years of his life, Dennis owned and operated Parra Building Consultants, a multi-generational family business performing building, roofing, and other specialty inspections, consulting, and expert witness services.

Dennis was an advocate of, and played integral roles as a Board, Committee, and General Member, in Local, State, and National levels of professional associations such as the California Real Estate Inspection Association (CREIA), American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI), Roof Consultants Institute (RCI), San Diego Roofing Contractors Association (SDRCA), Forensic Consultants Association (FCA), and Executives' Association of San Diego (EASD). Dennis was one of the founding members of CREIA San Diego Chapter and served as past president, held several state board positions, received honors for preparation and development of the CREIA membership exam in 1998, was conferred as an Inspector Fellow in 1999, received the John Daly Award (CREIA's most prestigious recognition) in 2001, was named as one of the 25 most influential members in CREIA's 25 year history in 2001, and was named as one of the 40 most influential people in CREIA's 40 year history in 2016.

Dennis was a man of great faith and gave selflessly to his community. He was a devoted husband and father, an iconic family man for whom family was his priority. To know Dennis was to love Dennis. Sailing, camping, and traveling the continent in his motor-home with friends and family brought Dennis great joy.

Dennis was preceded in death by his father Ernest and mother Alma, and is survived by his wife of 63 years Jeannine, their seven children Dennis II, Margaret Merritt, Monica Ballon, Michelle Parra-Christie, Maria Cleary, Stephen, Melissa Doyle and their respective spouses, twenty-two grand-children, seven great-grandchildren, brother Ernest Parra, two nieces, and a loving extended family.

A "Celebration of Life" will be held on November 12, 2018 at 11:00 am at St. Patrick's Church in San Diego, preceded with the saying of the Rosary starting at 10:30.

In lieu of flowers, Memorial donations may be made to St. Augustine High School Alumni Association, at:
    3266 Nutmeg Street, San Diego, CA 92104.