Thread: split beam?

Ron Bishop Guest

Default split beam?

I found this beam with a split in it. It is in one of the 4 attics of this 8600 sq.ft. home that I inspected yesterday. The split runs through the entire beam. I am not sure if I should call it out or not. Any suggestions?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: split beam?

Picture?????

Ron Bishop Guest

woops...it's early out here

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Must be real early. I don't see any beams in these pictures.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Ron Bishop Guest

double oops...maybe I should go back to bed!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Ron, when I see splits like these that are fully supported across the length of the beam/joist, I don't call them as long as the split doesn't run to the top or bottom edge of the beam. However, if the split has resulted in some twisting or canting of the beam/joist, then I would.

I wouldn't hurt to just make some mention in your report of the condition you observed and include supporting pics.

Ron Bishop Guest

okay...thank you kindly

Harry Rezaei Guest

I believe the correct term used for these small types of
    cracks is 'Checking'. Checks are not as serious unless they go all the way through the joists/beams etc. In that case, it would be best noted as a 'Split'.

In my opinion based on your photos' these are very typical checking cracks. It is caused by improper or quick drying of the wood. The wood dries from the outside first, and the wood was likely not rotated during the drying period in the kiln.

Ron,

You say that the cracks run through the the entire beam. Is that through the length or the width - it makes a big difference.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Dear Ron;

If this home is in a high wind area or earthquake zone, this could be a problem. After Hurrican Andrew I saw a few beams supporting roof rafters with the bottom half still bolted to the steel clumn and the upper half of the beam and roof nowhere to be found. I noticed the anchor bolts are located below the check or split. This could be repaird quite easily with steel straps or sheeting on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bishop View Post
    I found this beam with a split in it. It is in one of the 4 attics of this 8600 sq.ft. home that I inspected yesterday. The split runs through the entire beam. I am not sure if I should call it out or not. Any suggestions?
    It appears to be normal checking. Probably Douglas Fir from the Pacific Northwest or BC, which dried rapidly after the roof went on. There are still plenty of continuous fibers visible in the split sections, and it will take a tremendous force to split that beam down the middle. I would not even mention it.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca