Thread: Rusted I-beam

Chris Zarcone Guest

Default Rusted I-beam

Wondering about the heavy rust, especially since the ends of the I-beam are embedded in the concrete walls. Does the same potential exist as in damage resulting from rusted lintel in brick veneer?
    This I-beam & corrugated metal supports a corner of the garage slab. Home is located on bluff overlooking Long Island Sound & this area is exposed to the exterior. I'm under the impression it's been in place for approx. 20 years.
    Any comments welcome.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

imported_John Smith Guest

Default Re: Rusted I-beam

Doesnt appear to be weathering steel like that used in bridges, so yes it is experiencing corrosion. It often looks much worse than it really is. The stuff imbedded in the concrete should be similar in corrosion rate to rebar in concrete. Typically not much metal loss. Usually the worst areas you will see are at the concrete to steel interface. If they look decent, the rest of the beam should be.

I'd be more concerned with the metal decking above.

I've seen that used for many roofs and, in the condition shown in the photo, it is 'not good'. Now, though, consider that it "supports a corner of the garage slab" ... whoa! Vehicles will be driving on that, and they are not light!

That 'could have been' used 'only as' a form, however, it is more likely that it was used 'also as structural support' for the garage slab.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Zarcone View Post
    Wondering about the heavy rust, especially since the ends of the I-beam are embedded in the concrete walls. Does the same potential exist as in damage resulting from rusted lintel in brick veneer?
    This I-beam & corrugated metal supports a corner of the garage slab. Home is located on bluff overlooking Long Island Sound & this area is exposed to the exterior. I'm under the impression it's been in place for approx. 20 years.
    Any comments welcome.

Thanks
    Chris,

Potential Yes, Probability Doubtful.

Note: Surface rust, monitor for cracks, Repair.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Yes the decking will deteriorate through before the beam does anything. Was there venting in the crawl? Which side of the sound are you on? I'm in Norwalk.

Chris Zarcone Guest

Hey Wayne, house is in Port Jefferson, Long Island. Other side of the wall is the backyard & is accessed by walking under the rear deck - wide open to the outdoors.