Default Block pier Shims/Spacers

I have never seen anyone do this type of shimming or spacers before. There is a old (15 yr old house) settlement crack above a door in the master bedroom that I think was caused by this shim being placed vertical and not laying flat.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Block pier Shims/Spacers

No matter what you call it, that is wrong. But I would not call those vertical blocks "shims".

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    I have never seen anyone do this type of shimming or spacers before. There is a old (15 yr old house) settlement crack above a door in the master bedroom that I think was caused by this shim being placed vertical and not laying flat.

You're are obviously entering into a realm outside of your expertise. Beams and girders must bear on a minimum of 1 1/2" when it comes to wood, 3" with masonry. That being said, the reaction determines what is and isn't needed for restraint when it comes to loads.

Don't take offense as it's not meant.....but if you don't know if this is or isn't correct, stop charging people for your opinion when it comes to minimum safe construction practices.

Good day.

While typically pier blocking is placed in a horizontal fashion, it does not look like the 2x4's have rotated or moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    While typically pier blocking is placed in a horizontal fashion, it does not look like the 2x4's have rotated or moved.
    The sellers repaired the Blocks/Shims/Spacers