Default I hit the LOTTERY

Wednesday, January 15, 2008 started out like every other day; I woke up at about 5:30 AM, went outside to grab the newspaper, sat down and started to drink my morning coffee. Being this was a Wednesday, the Mega Millions drawing was last night. I am what I believe to be a normal American, I spend about $20.00 a week on lottery tickets; hoping to win the big one.

When the jackpot reaches upwards of $100 million, I turn into the modern day Walter Mitty; thinking what I can do with all that money. Ah, the escape of the daily grind, daydreaming on what it’s like to have lots of money.

With my tickets in hand, I eagerly scanned the winning numbers, hoping today was the day. Another disappointment, not even close. Guess I’ll have to keep grinding away, something that gets more difficult with the poor economy. With housing prices that keep falling and low consumer confidence, it’s getting tougher to put food on the table.

Anyway, back to the simple life. My son, Kenny is getting his lunch ready before leaving for work, my wife is doing her normal morning routine.

It’s now about 7:00 AM, my son left for work and I’m firing up my computer when it happens, the phone rings…

“I need help; I’ve just been hit head-on. It’s not my fault. I’m on Howard Blvd. I’ve just been hit head-on, It’s not my fault” a shocked Kenny repeats.
    A parent’s worst nightmare; THE dreaded phone call.

Howard Blvd is about 5 minutes away. I jump in my truck and start driving towards the scene, my windshield covered with frost, my head partially out the window trying to see. What seemed like a half hour but in reality only about 5 minutes, I approach the accident. My first thought is HOLY ****; the front of Kenny’s car is totally crushed. My second thought was that of relief, I saw Kenny standing off to the side of the road, bewildered, watching the scores of rescue working rushing around. I happened to glance to the right and saw a young girl laying next to the curb, three paramedics working on her. As I started to walk towards Kenny, I turned to the right; looked down a ravine where the other car came to rest. There, about 5 rescue workers were attending to the driver. Soon, a police officer came over and was asking Kenny if he knew how many people were in the second car; they wanted to make sure all occupants were accounted for. We didn’t realize at the time, but there were 3 occupants of the other vehicle.
    The first girl I saw being attended to was soon on a stretcher and being driven to a nearby field to be air-lifted to Morristown Hospital. Within minutes, a second girl was taken out on a stretcher, to be driven to the same field for another air-lift. It took about 7 minutes for the driver to be removed and he was taken by ambulance to Morristown.

NJ.com: Everything Jersey

After the 3 teens were taken away, the police started to question Kenny and an eye witness who stopped to help. Kenny, while not complaining of injuries, was taken by ambulance to Morristown Hospital to get checked out. I drove home to pick-up my wife; together we drove to the hospital. Upon arrival, we were mistakenly sent to the emergency trauma unit where we came in contact with parents of the other victims.

I was at the scene of the accident; I knew my son would be OK. These other parents didn’t have a clue as to the severity of the accident or the condition of their children. Knowing your child was flown out of an accident; grown-ups crying their eyes out because of uncertainty; people, it’s painful to see.

We were quickly re-directed to Kenny’s room where we were prevented from seeing him until the Morris County Prosecutors detective was finished interviewing him.
    The Prosecutors office? The Morris County Sheriffs office?
    Makes you wonder if they’re investigating a fatal accident.

After about 2 hours of tests and X-rays, Kenny was released from the hospital with minor injuries and some bruising. Before leaving, we were told everyone was expected to make complete recoveries!

About an hour after getting home, I took Kenny to the Roxbury Police station so he could give a written statement. The accident investigation was still ongoing but the detective filled us up to date with Kenny’s statement, the eye witness and the accident scene.

The 2000 Mustang had 3 students, the driver, his sister was the back seat passenger and his sisters friend in the front seat. One other piece of information; Howard Blvd is a 4 lane road, 2 in each direction.

The Mustang was weaving in and out of traffic. The Mustang, in the right lane south bound, swerved to the left, crossed the left lane and went into a spin. He crossed the center line, the left lane of the northbound side in to the right hand lane. At the time of impact, Kenny was traveling about 50 mph, it’s estimated the Mustang was between 54-58 MPH. At impact, the Mustang was actually traveling backwards. Impact was the left rear of the Mustang and the right front of Kenny’s car.

At impact, the backseat passenger (who was not wearing a seat-belt) was thrown 50 feet thru the rear window. The Mustang, then went up and over the guardrail, struck a telephone pole and slid down the embankment. Kenny’s car was spun around, traveled about 15 feet backwards and stopped; in the right lane northbound, headed southbound.

All four involved are lucky to be alive.

About 4 o’clock in the afternoon, after things had calmed down a bit, I turned to my wife Cherri and said, ‘even thought we didn’t have the winning numbers, I think we hit the lottery today’.

Darren

Inspection Referral

Default Re: I hit the LOTTERY

About 4 o’clock in the afternoon, after things had calmed down a bit, I turned to my wife Cherri and said, ‘even thought we didn’t have the winning numbers, I think we hit the lottery today’.
    Amen Darren

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

daniel nantell Guest

I think I would give God the credit for the miracle and be in church Sunday morning, telling other of the miracle.

Darren,

That is a parents worse nightmare is getting those type of calls.

I raised 2 sons, and had several of those type calls but not so serious as yours.

I'm glad to hear your son was not hurt and hope the other kids recover.

Life can be taken away in a second and many of our teens (even ourselves at time) take it for granted.

Tell your son he had the good Lord as his co-pilot.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

No amount of lottery winnings could replace a son or daughter. While the accident is terrible news Darren, the fact that your son is OK is great news.

Richard Rushing Guest

Darren,

Thanks, for sharing and posting this story. Life is too short and very precious.

I know that feeling of getting that call... it's absolutely the worst feeling in the world.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by daniel nantell View Post
    I think I would give God the credit for the miracle and be in church Sunday morning, telling other of the miracle.
    Didn't God cause the accident?

Thumbs down Re: I hit the LOTTERY

Mitchell. There are no atheists in fox holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mount View Post
    There are no atheists in fox holes.

Only foxes are in fox holes.

So, what's your point?

I am sure that Mitchell's point was: If God can be prayed to *because* he saved someone, then he should be scolded *because* he caused it to start with. (Or something to that affect.)

In truth, *God* had nothing to do with the outcome ... or with the cause, $hit happens, and when really bad $hit happens, people don't come out on the good end. In Darren's story, his son came out on the good end, as it appears the others involved will too.

And, in the short and simple, or in the long and complex, *that is a GOOD THING*.

The results 'could' have been horribly different. I am sure that all of us are glad the results were not horribly different.

Yes, Darren hit the lottery today, and that is a GOOD THING.

GOOD THINGS happen to ALL people.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com