Default Extension cords - again

I know that extension cords are not allowed as permanent wiring and I've heard they're not allowed for garage door openers. but after looking at the NEC 400.7 and thereabouts; I'm not sure. I hope this picture comes through. It's just a picture of a fairly healthy looking extension cord getting a garage door opener plugged into a high ceiling. OK or no? Should I be looking elsewhere in the NEC or IRC?
    Thanks in advance. My first time posying on this new board.
    Jim in Calvert County Maryland

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Jim, in Calvert County, MD

Default Re: Extension cords - again

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kasterko View Post
    I know that extension cords are not allowed as permanent wiring and I've heard they're not allowed for garage door openers. but after looking at the NEC 400.7 and thereabouts; I'm not sure.
    What part makes you wonder about 'no they are not allowed'?

extension cord getting a garage door opener plugged into a high ceiling. OK or no?
    No, not allowed.

My first time posying on this new board.
    Jim K.,

Welcome back K(otter).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks for the quick reply Jerry. I thought I had fixed posying. Anyway, I don't have the codes online and I don't know my way around them very well either. But, I believe NEC article 400, Flexible cords, speaks to extension cords. 400.7 talks about uses permitted PORTABLE lamps appliance _ I ciaught portable this time. 400.8 talks about uses not permitted and in there I see nothing to preclude it except maybe protection from physicall damage, and it looks like that was just added in 2008 (the book I'm lookig in) and phyical damage would be the same for the flexible cord attaced to the opener, right? I know you're trying to force me to figure it out, but give me a hint. Thanks.

This is from the 2008 NEC. (I've underlined the only change from 2005, "luminaires" used to be "lamps", I used bold for other highlighting)
    - 400.7 Uses Permitted.
    - - (A) Uses. Flexible cords and cables shall be used only for the following:
    - - - (1) Pendants (Jerry's note: Not applicable to the use under discussion.)
    - - - (2) Wiring of luminaires (Jerry's note: Not applicable to the use under discussion.)
    - - - (3) Connection of portable luminaires, portable and mobile signs, or appliances (Jerry's note: Not applicable to the use under discussion.)
    - - - (4) Elevator cables (Jerry's note: Not applicable to the use under discussion.)
    - - - (5) Wiring of cranes and hoists (Jerry's note: Not applicable to the use under discussion.)
    - - - (6) Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent interchange (Jerry's note: Not applicable to the use under discussion.)
    - - - (7) Prevention of the transmission of noise or vibration (Jerry's note: Not applicable to the use under discussion.)
    - - - (8) Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection (Jerry's note: Not applicable to the use under discussion.)
    - - - (9) Connection of moving parts (Jerry's note: Not applicable to the use under discussion.)
    - - - (10) Where specifically permitted elsewhere in this Code(Jerry's note: Not applicable to the use under discussion.)

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Come on JP.... How about an answer for those of us that don't speak BOLD, "quotes" - (), ***, ### or &&&

Is it allowed?

We're home inspectors, not lawyers or code book authors... why must every answer always be so complex #$%^^*?????????????

Every single garage door opener manual I have ever read, from Chamberlain, Genie, Craftsman, Overhead Door, Stanley, etc, specifically prohibits the use of extension cords in the Installation Guides.

Manufacturer's Labeling must be followed.

I guess Jerry was trying to learn me something about reading code. The fact that the manufacturers don't allow it, I can understand easily. I was attempting to use the code to justify why it can't be used. In this case it looks like you assess all the "permitteds" real close and, I'm still not sure, but maybe because it's an appliance - but not portble or (8) where the appliance is intended for flexible cors connection. I dunno

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Every single garage door opener manual I have ever read, from Chamberlain, Genie, Craftsman, Overhead Door, Stanley, etc, specifically prohibits the use of extension cords in the Installation Guides.

Manufacturer's Labeling must be followed.
    Jim,

Manufacturer's install instructions must be followed.

That means NO EXTENSION CORDS.

No Code reference required, (Not installed per manufacturers Instructions then note deviation from the install instructions) sometimes less is better.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    Come on JP.... How about an answer for those of us that don't speak BOLD, "quotes" - (), ***, ### or &&&

Is it allowed?
    (scratching my head on this one)

This is what I posted above:

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    No, not allowed.
    We're home inspectors, not lawyers or code book authors... why must every answer always be so complex #$%^^*?????????????
    Ummmmm ... because Jim asked for that? "I know you're trying to force me to figure it out, but give me a hint. "

The "hint" was "well, if it is NOT in the "Uses Permitted", then it is not permitted to be used for that. Not sure what else you are looking for?????

I guess just go by what Dom posted then. MII (Manufacturer's Installation Instructions) The code reference for that is 110.3(B).

(bold is mine)
    - 110.3 Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of Equipment.
    - - (B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

James Duffin Guest

What is ironic is that if that same drop cord is connected permanently then it is no longer a drop cord but a pendant and is now legal.

III. Required Outlets
    210.50 General. Receptacle outlets shall be installed as
    specified in 210.52 through 210.63.

(A) Cord Pendants.
    A cord connector that is supplied by a
    permanently connected cord pendant shall be considered a
    receptacle outlet.
    (B) Cord Connections.

A receptacle outlet shall be installed
    wherever flexible cords with attachment plugs are
    used. Where flexible cords are permitted to be permanently
    connected, receptacles shall be permitted to be omitted for
    such cords.

Last edited by James Duffin; 01-20-2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kasterko View Post
    I guess Jerry was trying to learn me something about reading code. The fact that the manufacturers don't allow it, I can understand easily. I was attempting to use the code to justify why it can't be used. In this case it looks like you assess all the "permitteds" real close and, I'm still not sure, but maybe because it's an appliance - but not portble or (8) where the appliance is intended for flexible cors connection. I dunno

Well, that's as clear as mud, care to clarify that again?

You're right. I didn't write that very well. I knew extension cords were not allowed for this use. I wasn't sure why. I had never seen it in the mfgr's instructions. So, I was trying to find out why for myself in the codes and was having trouble. So I posted my question and Jerry anwered. I was trying to guess why Jerry posted his reply the way he did (I believe he was saying that in that article, 400.7 -uses permitted, none applied - therefore not allowed). So that's why I replied to Matt that Jerry was trying to "learn" me something about reading the code. Anyway, I now know that maufacturers don't allow it because several of you have stated it. I also know that I need to learn how to decipher the codes better. I don't want to be a code citing guru. But I would like to be comfortable finding the proper code as backup and reassurance. Guess I should look into the ICC study giudes, huh.
    Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    What is ironic is that if that same drop cord is connected permanently then it is no longer a drop cord but a pendant and is now legal.

James,

Not "that same drop cord " - *that* one has a stated specific use, and it would *not* be "permanent" wiring - it has a cord and plug, and, as our other discussion stated, cutting the plug off so it could be permanently wired in now makes that cord 'not being used in accordance with its listing and labeling, and 'that' is a code violation. (I stated it that way because 'cutting the plug off the end' is not a "code violation", heck, that's what you are supposed to do to old extension cords which have worn out so they cannot be used any more, but ... "using" that cord with the cut off plug ... *that* is the 'code violation'. )

Even a drop light cord and plug, when you cut the plug off the end, that's okay. You just are not allowed to use it for anything now.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com