Default Gas flex through exterior wall

I called this out in my report as an improper installation. This line goes to a BBQ island in the backyard. I recommended further eval by a qualified plumber. I didn't mention that I believe that it should be a solid pipe through the wall with shut -off. Then it is buried. Let me know how you would comment.

BTW, I'm going back to the home for a re-inspection. The seller states that this was installed before he bought the home. That don't make it correct! Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com

Default Re: Gas flex through exterior wall

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
    I called this out in my report as an improper installation. This line goes to a BBQ island in the backyard. I recommended further eval by a qualified plumber. I didn't mention that I believe that it should be a solid pipe through the wall with shut -off. Then it is buried. Let me know how you would comment.

BTW, I'm going back to the home for a re-inspection. The seller states that this was installed before he bought the home. That don't make it correct! Thanks in advance!
    The problem with stating that it should be a solid pipe is that you are moving into the area of designing a repair. That is the plumber's job. It's our job to flag the incorrect items and recommend it be corrected by a licensed plumbing contractor.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    The problem with stating that it should be a solid pipe is that you are moving into the area of designing a repair. That is the plumber's job. It's our job to flag the incorrect items and recommend it be corrected by a licensed plumbing contractor.
    As I said, I didn't state that it should be a solid pipe. I would like to know about the flex thrugh the wall if there are ant inputs on that.

Thanks.

Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
    As I said, I didn't state that it should be a solid pipe. I would like to know about the flex thrugh the wall if there are ant inputs on that.

Thanks.
    I was just continuing with what I thought was a logical extension to your comment that you did not recommend rigid pipe. I feel that it's better to do as you evidently did - state the problem and recommend appropriate corrections, not to design a specific repair.

You are correct, appliance connectors must have a gas shutoff valve before the connector and are approved only for use between the shutoff valve and the appliance in the same room. The IRC additionally states that the connector cannot be routed through a wall (I could not find a specific statement in the UPC). I cannot find where connectors cannot be buried, but the code does specifically refer to the manufacturer's installation instructions, so my guess is that it's there.

UPC 1212.0
    IRC G2422

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Looks like you have several issues there. Flex connector cannot penetrate a wall or be concealed in a wall, and connector cannot be used as part of the gas line system except according to its listing which is very limited as noted by Gunnar. Then it appears to transition from flex to CSST which is likely not bonded. I'm not sure about the rules on burial on CSST, maybe legal depending on type.
    I would note it as improperly installed gas piping that should be repaired by a competent licensed plumber, and leave it at that.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas