Hi InspectionNews members!

Here's our latest, our first in a series of home inspector profiles in which we take a closer look at individual inspectors making an impact in the industry.

Have a home inspector you'd recommend for our home inspector profile series? Let us know! Send me a message with the name of the inspector, their contact information, and how their story could inspire others.

Enjoy!
Stephanie

For military veteran Bronson Anderson, it was difficult to transition from military service to the private world. A former infantryman in Iraq, there were not many ways in which he could apply his training back home in Virginia. That's when his father, a home inspector, made Anderson an offer he couldn't refuse: payment to ride along during jobs and see if home inspections were the right career for him.

It took Anderson just a month to fall in love with property inspections. Anderson liked educating home buyers so that they were better equipped to make their purchases. Now, 18 years later, Anderson continues to enjoy passing knowledge to his inspection clients to help them better understand their future homes through his business Inspector Homes, Inc.

In this article, we take a look at how Anderson has developed a successful home inspection business through communication, community, and branding.

For Anderson, communication is fundamental to serving clients and managing risk. According to Anderson, it's important to know your client before you deliver information regarding your inspection findings. Knowing your client allows you to better convey inspection details in a way the client can understand.

When he first arrives to a job site, Anderson begins to size his clients up by asking what he describes as "small questions."

"When you're dating somebody for the first time, you ask small questions to try to get to know them: "What do you do for a living?' 'Do you have any kids?'" Anderson said. "Once I get to know them and I open that door of trust a little bit, we can communicate."

Depending on the client's background, Anderson will cater his responses to their needs. A first-time home buyer may require more time and attention to explain findings. Alternatively, a client with a construction background may be more apt to understand technical jargon.

"I'm giving the same information to them, but how I'm delivering that information changes," Anderson explained.

According to Anderson, it's not just communicating in person that matters. Written communication, particularly in inspection reports, makes a substantial impact to how clients understand home inspections.

"Your inspection isn't what comes out of your mouth; it's what goes into your report," Bronson said.

Learn more about how Bronson Anderson developed his successful home inspection business by clicking "Read More" below.

[READ MORE]