Default Looking for an article from a trade journal

I recently went to inspect a home that had had a new layer of asphalt shingle put on the existing. There were a few minor issues with the installation, but when I got to the attic space it was a rain forest. The roofer had "taken out" the chimney (dropped it below roof line and left it in the attic space) that was venting the furnace. Not to mention the HUGE safety issue I had and the monster mess that this had created... the roofer can't understand that his "taking out" the chimney could have caused all this damage. I'm looking for an article, preferably through a trade org (although not picky) that I can send him to explain what happened. He is pulling the "your an idiot inspector" line and I'd just like something non-bias, so we can move on. Has anyone got an article they are fond of??? Thanks in advance...

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Looking for an article from a trade journal

Honestly, it's not up to you to prove to him you're right... You know you are right and, if the conditions are as you describe, anyone with a 4th grade education knows you're right.

To even engage him almost takes away some of your credibility. Just stay in close communication with your clients and help them find the needed info.

I agree... I'm more looking for something to give my clients. There has been a HVAC guy out, but of course they weren't present for the "why" explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Reis Pearson View Post
    ... The roofer had "taken out" the chimney (dropped it below roof line and left it in the attic space) that was venting the furnace..,
    . the roofer can't understand that his "taking out" the chimney ...
    He is pulling the "your an idiot inspector" line .
    Reis,

Your wasting your time as he is unwilling or incapable of understanding the consequences
    of his actions.

Google Carbon monoxide Poisoning!
    He should be thanking you (before His actions caused a death) .

At the least Criminal Negligent Homicide

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Billy Stephens; 01-18-2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Google
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Reis,

If your looking for a source that states WATER is a by produce of burning Natural Gas.
    Found in Natural Gas & The Environment section of link.

NaturalGas.org

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Reis,

Just tell him "Okay, this is what you do ... open the phone book ... go to 'Attorneys' ... look under the heading 'Criminal Defense' ... call which ever one you like, see what kind of deal you can work out - because you will need them if you persist with this. (short pause) Because I will be telling my client to open the phone book and go to 'Attorneys' and look under the heading 'Wrongful Death or Injury' ... "

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kevin Luce Guest

Ask him if his furnace is vented in the attic, and if not, why not?

How about the plumbing vents? If he cuts those off in the attic, then that will make laying roof shingles down easier.

I was just dealing with one of these people - a developer - late last year, and was reminded once again that it really does not matter if they are too stupid to understand or too psychopathic or sociopathic to care, the people they need to be explaining things to are not you or your client but the local AHJ and the local or state licensing board.

As for your clients, just shrug your shoulders and tell them that that arguing about this stuff makes as much sense as arguing with some nut about the law of gravity - that it's a waste of time and energy, and that what they need to focus on is the next step... which if they still wish to consider the property is obtain estimates to correct the problems you found.

The people who provide those will make it abundantly clear to your client - if there is really any doubt in their minds - what's what.

---------

BTW, got some pics of this?

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 01-19-2008 at 06:22 PM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Brandon Chew Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    I was just dealing with one of the people - a developer - late last year, and was reminded once again that it really does not matter if they are too stupid to understand or too psychopathic or sociopathic to care, the people they need to be explaining things to are not you or your client but the local AHJ and the local or state licensing board.

As for your clients, just shrug you shoulders and tell them that that arguing about this stuff makes as much sense as arguing with some nut about the law of gravity - that it's a waste of time and energy, and that what they need to focus on is the next step... which if they still wish to consider the property is obtain estimates to correct the problems you found.

The people who provide those will make it abundantly clear to your client - if there is really any doubt in their minds - what's what.

---------

BTW, got some pics of this?
    Michael,

Great answer! That's a good way to frame the issue and keep people's eyes on the ball. Thanks.

Brandon