Default PHOTOS OF AC CONDENSER SPACING

The concrete pad has sufficient space to allow for proper spacing and clearance, however for some reason, the HVAC installer placed these two condensers 1 ? inches apart. The data plate on one condenser was mostly blocked from view. The serial and model number on one condenser could be seen but that was about it.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: PHOTOS OF AC CONDENSER SPACING

They were actually hooked up? Weird. Makes me wonder if someone told the worker it would be nice to use that extra pad space for X.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    They were actually hooked up? Weird. Makes me wonder if someone told the worker it would be nice to use that extra pad space for X.
    Hi Markus, yes they were connected and operational. This was an existing home.

I see what looks like three holes in the slab where the right condenser unit may have been anchored originally.

I looked because, if the condenser had been mounted where all that space is, the condenser unit would have been in the required working space in front of the two disconnects, so ... some brilliant person 'took care of that issue'.

Except that they created another issue, possibly more than one issue.

First, that panel with the nameplate on it looks like the one which needs to be removed for servicing, which means that unit likely does not have the required service workspace for the condenser unit (which is 30" by 30" per the mechanical sections of the code, but ... those appliances are also electrical, and electrical requires 30" by 36" access - many HVAC people forget, or don't know, about the electrical working space requirements).

The other issue could be spacing between the units for air circulation - "could be" as I have seen installation instructions which require 12" at all sides, which makes 24" between units; I've also seen some which allow 0" on one side if the other sides have 24"; I've also seen where the spacing between multiple units, up to two units, is reduced to 12" between units on one side (unfortunately, that was on condo roofs where the "multiple units" consisted of 12 units on one rack, and they were all only 12" apart, making that 12" on two sides); I've also seen other clearances, so that would need to be checked based on the manufacturer and the model number.

What are those two wall caps behind the condenser units? Two dryer vents? Seems unlikely.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I see what looks like three holes in the slab where the right condenser unit may have been anchored originally.

I looked because, if the condenser had been mounted where all that space is, the condenser unit would have been in the required working space in front of the two disconnects, so ... some brilliant person 'took care of that issue'.

Except that they created another issue, possibly more than one issue.

First, that panel with the nameplate on it looks like the one which needs to be removed for servicing, which means that unit likely does not have the required service workspace for the condenser unit (which is 30" by 30" per the mechanical sections of the code, but ... those appliances are also electrical, and electrical requires 30" by 36" access - many HVAC people forget, or don't know, about the electrical working space requirements).

The other issue could be spacing between the units for air circulation - "could be" as I have seen installation instructions which require 12" at all sides, which makes 24" between units; I've also seen some which allow 0" on one side if the other sides have 24"; I've also seen where the spacing between multiple units, up to two units, is reduced to 12" between units on one side (unfortunately, that was on condo roofs where the "multiple units" consisted of 12 units on one rack, and they were all only 12" apart, making that 12" on two sides); I've also seen other clearances, so that would need to be checked based on the manufacturer and the model number.

What are those two wall caps behind the condenser units? Two dryer vents? Seems unlikely.
    Hey Jerry, those caps you mention are the wall-entrance weather covers for the refrigerant lines. They are not dryer vents.

I suspect you are correct on the places on the concrete pad that appear to have been footing marks from the original condenser location.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    The concrete pad has sufficient space to allow for proper spacing and clearance, however for some reason, the HVAC installer placed these two condensers 1 ? inches apart. The data plate on one condenser was mostly blocked from view. The serial and model number on one condenser could be seen but that was about it.
    The installation does not meet Manufacturer of State Code. Have contractor relocate to meet code. Minimal separation is 18" clearance

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY ADAIR View Post
    as depicted by op minimum 24" separation per mfr pg9
    There are two problems with the 24 inches shown on page 9:

1) The Mechanical Code and the Residential Code requires a minimum of 30 inches clearance at the service side.

2) Being as that is also electrically powered, the NEC and Residential Code requires a minimum working space of 30 inches wide by 36 inches deep at the electrical service access.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com