Default New York NHIE Requirements

Hi folks,

I am doing a little research for CREIA (California Real Estate Inspectors Association) regarding requirements for home inspector licensing in New York State.

According to the NY State licensing website, in order to be licensed, the inspector must have taken the NYS written exam or the NHIE.

Does anyone know if the two are the same or if there are marked differences between the two?

Why would a state administer their own test when the NHIE is already available?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Default Re: New York NHIE Requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Why would a state administer their own test when the NHIE is already available?
    Because many/most 'old timers' may haven taken the 'state test' before licensing began.

In order for licensing to be acceptable to those already performing home inspections, the state recognized that those already doing inspections were knowledgeable and experienced in doing those inspections ... and the best way to get licensing adopted is to not kick out those already doing those inspections.

Recognizing that experience, knowledge, and time in business is worth at least as much as a newbie taking a NHIE and passing it.

From an 'old timer' who never took the NHEI.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

As I recall, my Florida Association of Building Inspections (FABI) member number was 66, I took and passed the FABI test, which was both written responses to writen questions and peer review with an existing FABI member after passing the written test part.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry,

That information is helpful.

I did manage to get some information from someone who is knowledgeable about the NHIE. Apparently, NY uses an in-house test that has not been updated in a while and isn't really equivalent.

I'm old enough to have missed the NHIE as well. I have been considering taking it though.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Gunnar, I just remembered this additional part "back then" in Florida: the peer review itself was two parts. First with one existing member, then with another existing member, the intent was, I think, to eliminate to possibility of a friend who was a member of giving the applicant "a pass" ... both peer review members had a pow-wow afterward and both had to agree and give their approval for the applicant to become a member.

I also considered taking the NHIE, several times ... but each consideration ended with "nah, don't need that", besides, I passed the ASHI test shortly after becoming a FABI member.

Of course, both of those were long before the NHIE came into existence.

I was already busy passing my SBCCI certifications at the same time as taking FABI and ASHI. Had all the SBCCI inspector certifications (that there were at that time) by 1990.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com