Default Ceiling tiles with asbestos?

I was wondering and worrying about the composition of these ceiling tiles. They were installed around 1970, in 2' x 4' sections, on a metal grid for a drop ceiling. I painted them many years ago, never thinking there was a possibility they could have asbestos. Thanks so much for any replies!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Ceiling tiles with asbestos?

FWIW, your photos are posted "in-lne" and can't be opened any larger. They're too small to see.

No matter what you have on the ceiling, the only way to know the content of the tile is to have it laboratory tested.

Obviously, I cannot get a lab report just from a posted photo. I just thought someone might have come across tiles similar to these, and were familiar with their composition.

One the second thread you posted on there was a reply I made about brown core tiles not likely having asbestos. I have tested hundreds of ceiling tiles, and have not found one that contained asbestos that had a brown core. Its likely cellulose.
    To be positive, you should have them tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    One the second thread you posted on there was a reply I made about brown core tiles not likely having asbestos. I have tested hundreds of ceiling tiles, and have not found one that contained asbestos that had a brown core. Its likely cellulose.
    Yes, I read that. I didn't know if mine were similar to ones you had tested, or not. But that is reassuring. Thank you.

Hi Yvonne,

There are online labs where you can mail a sample to have tested for asbestos content. As I recall, they are not horribly expensive. If you choose to do this, make sure you take precautions when pulling a sample. I would check with the lab for guidelines as to how to get the sample without contaminating your interior air quality.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Hi Yvonne,

There are online labs where you can mail a sample to have tested for asbestos content. As I recall, they are not horribly expensive. If you choose to do this, make sure you take precautions when pulling a sample. I would check with the lab for guidelines as to how to get the sample without contaminating your interior air quality.

Thank you. Yes, I should have them tested, for my own peace of mind. I wish I had thought about the possible dangers before I drilled a hole in one for a hook the other day! I hope the "brown core" test results, Mr. Feldmann referenced, hold true for my tiles.

Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

Okay, drilling's an issue. Other than that, what's your concern? Do you have reason to disturb their integrity otherwise? Are you looking to dispose of them?

Quote Originally Posted by david shapiro View Post
    Okay, drilling's an issue. Other than that, what's your concern? Do you have reason to disturb their integrity otherwise? Are you looking to dispose of them?
    I guess it's mainly just peace of mind after a potential dangerous exposure! These tiles are in several rooms, and are in good condition. We possibly may be selling the house in the future, and I just wanted an educated guess on their composition, if we were ever questioned about them.

Last edited by Yvonne Horton; 03-05-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Could you please describe the tiles' look which were tested as positive? I have always found the brown color to test negative, but, have not had an accoustical ceiling tile that has tested positive.
    Thanks,
    Rob K

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Kinsey View Post
    Could you please describe the tiles' look which were tested as positive? I have always found the brown color to test negative, but, have not had an accoustical ceiling tile that has tested positive.
    Thanks,
    Rob K
    Rob, I think I was pretty clear in my other post where I explained that I had NEVER found asbestos in brown core ceiling tiles. In all cases where they tested positive, the core of the tiles were in the grey to white spectrum in color.