Default Anyone ever seen a vacuum motor like this?

Anyone ever seen a vacuum pump / motor like this?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Anyone ever seen a vacuum motor like this?

For central vacuum systems?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    For central vacuum systems?
    Well, I've researched hundreds of central vacs and even bought one. Problem is I wasn't able to make it variable speed so i have to send it back.
    This is a set up (image) that is ideal, its just $3700.

I haven't even seen anything close to something that looks like this thing. Its possible that the outer shell is proprietary making it look different than say, an internal Central vac motor

https://youtu.be/dkXOy0rNZ70
    just found this so i may buy this set up

Interesting - what is your use of a variable speed vacuum motor for?

I would think that a high suction vacuum would not have a variable speed motor. The variable speed motor in the video link looks to be a low vacuum setup (quite a bit less vacuum that from a central vacuum system unit).

Have you tried a variable speed fan controller on a central vacuum motor (or even a vacuum cleaner motor)? Seems like it should work to vary the speed of the motor, which would in turn vary the amount of suction created by the motor - but - as that video pointed out, vacuum motors are cooled by the air stream of the unit (the vacuum cleaner motors, at least the older ones I've messed around with many years ago are in the air stream after the bag, so I would expect modern vacuums to have the motors in the air stream after the container/canister ... but maybe they don't?).

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 02-27-2019 at 12:57 PM. Reason: added the last part
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Interesting - what is your use of a variable speed vacuum motor for?

I would think that a high suction vacuum would not have a variable speed motor. The variable speed motor in the video link looks to be a low vacuum setup (quite a bit less vacuum that from a central vacuum system unit).

Have you tried a variable speed fan controller on a central vacuum motor (or even a vacuum cleaner motor)? Seems like it should work to vary the speed of the motor, which would in turn vary the amount of suction created by the motor - but - as that video pointed out, vacuum motors are cooled by the air stream of the unit (the vacuum cleaner motors, at least the older ones I've messed around with many years ago are in the air stream after the bag, so I would expect modern vacuums to have the motors in the air stream after the container/canister ... but maybe they don't?).
    It's for some testing we're doing with negative air chambers. The vari speed helps regulate the pressure differences. The vac doesn't have to be too terribly powerful, once the chamber has reached its pressure difference its fairly easy to maintain.
    I bought a vac motor but its a 3 phase motor and won't turn/function when using the vari speed switch.
    Someone said its the frequency but Im no electrical engineer

An easy way to regulate negative pressure chambers (such as used for window and door pressure testing) is to use a good strong wet/dry vacuum (remove the filter and use in wet mode ... just in case), then regulate the pressure by regulating the amount of leakage at a 'leakage' port.

As you said once it's pressurized, it's fairly easy to maintain the desired pressure.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

An easy way to regulate negative pressure chambers (such as used for window and door pressure testing) is to use a good strong wet/dry vacuum (remove the filter and use in wet mode ... just in case), then regulate the pressure by regulating the amount of leakage at a 'leakage' port.

As you said once it's pressurized, it's fairly easy to maintain the desired pressure.
    I bought the same set up as in that video, works great.

If it's for testing windows and doors, the wet/dry shop vac works quite well, and in some cases, it wasn't so much 'controlling leakage to maintain the pressure as it was 'eliminating leakage' to be able to maintain pressure (on large windows and SGD).

On other than large ones, we maintained pressure by creating an intentional leakage port, which we could adjust to maintain the desired pressure.

If that's what you will be using the blower for, it just seems like a lot of extra work to achieve the same goal. In a laboratory setting where one or two chambers are used for various sized windows and doors, that would likely be quite nice, but in the field where the chamber is usually built for one window or door, then taken apart and rebuilt in another room, for a different sized window or door ... while it seems like something I would want and do , it seems like extra work which isn't needed.

Besides, the wet/dry vac has another advantage - it can be used to clean the work area and around the window or door before the testing (most useful for construction sites), and for cleaning up leakage after the testing.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I bought the same set up as in that video, works great.
    Marc,

I just realized I forgot to ask this with regards to "works great" - are you referring to blower and the variable speed controller working great, or have you already put it in a pressure chamber and tried it out, and it is working great for that?

Also this - are you using it for negative pressure chambers for testing windows and doors, or for something else? If something else, my part of the discussion may not even be applicable to the discussion ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    It's for some testing we're doing with negative air chambers. The vari speed helps regulate the pressure differences. The vac doesn't have to be too terribly powerful, once the chamber has reached its pressure difference its fairly easy to maintain.
    I bought a vac motor but its a 3 phase motor and won't turn/function when using the vari speed switch.
    Someone said its the frequency but Im no electrical engineer
    Any 3 phase motor can be controlled by a variable frequency drive (VFD) These are reliably available at MSC or Graingers. First thing to check are the taps on the motor. These are located inside where the wires connect to the motor. Most 3ph motors can be connected two ways one for 240V and 480V. Make sure it is wired for the correct voltage. To test a 3 phase motor, check the ohms between phases, Wire# 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 1. The readings should be very close to each other. Then test each phase to ground. Should read 0 ohms. Hope this helps

Marc,

I just realized I forgot to ask this with regards to "works great" - are you referring to blower and the variable speed controller working great, or have you already put it in a pressure chamber and tried it out, and it is working great for that?

Also this - are you using it for negative pressure chambers for testing windows and doors, or for something else? If something else, my part of the discussion may not even be applicable to the discussion ...
    Yes, works great for my fenestration tests.. check it out..

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Looks like a very nice professional package you have there.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thumbs up Re: Anyone ever seen a vacuum motor like this?

Looks like a very nice professional package you have there.
    Thank you...