Default Article: Who can sign my pre-inspection agreement?

Hey InspectionNews readers!

See a preview of our latest article below. It was inspired by one of the more frequently asked questions we receive regarding inspection contracts.

Enjoy!
    Stephanie

Two years after the inspection, a multi-inspector firm received a county court summons. Within the summons, the inspection company's former clients made a litany of allegations....

To cover the supposed damages, the claimants demanded over $100,000, plus whatever additional costs the claimants incurred during the lawsuit. In their contract, the inspection company had a limitation of liability clause to put a cap on its financial responsibility for missing or omitting defects. But there was one problem: The clients never signed the pre-inspection agreement.

Your pre-inspection agreement is your contract between you (the home inspector) and your client (the person(s) for whom you are performing a property inspection). Its purpose is to protect both you and your client(s) by setting correct inspection expectations, including services you'll perform and payment(s) they'll make.

In order to adequately protect inspectors against claims and preserve insurance coverage, inspectors must get their agreements signed prior to the inspection 100 percent of the time. (Hence the "pre" in pre-inspection agreement. Learn more about the legal reasons why contracts need to be signed prior to inspections here.)

Recently, a home inspector asked:

"I have a real estate agent that sometimes pays for their clients' home inspection and also signs the pre-inspection agreement. If the buyer made a claim, would the insurance company defend me even though it was the real estate agent was the one who paid for the inspection and signed the agreement?"

We go over who can legally sign your pre-inspection agreement--and who actually should.

[READ MORE]

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Stephanie Jaynes
    Marketing Director
    InspectorPro Insurance
    We Protect. You Inspect.
    www.inspectorproinsurance.com

Default Re: Article: Who can sign my pre-inspection agreement?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Jaynes View Post
    Hey InspectionNews readers!

See a preview of our latest article below. It was inspired by one of the more frequently asked questions we receive regarding inspection contracts.

Enjoy!
    Stephanie

Two years after the inspection, a multi-inspector firm received a county court summons. Within the summons, the inspection company's former clients made a litany of allegations....

To cover the supposed damages, the claimants demanded over $100,000, plus whatever additional costs the claimants incurred during the lawsuit. In their contract, the inspection company had a limitation of liability clause to put a cap on its financial responsibility for missing or omitting defects. But there was one problem: The clients never signed the pre-inspection agreement.

Your pre-inspection agreement is your contract between you (the home inspector) and your client (the person(s) for whom you are performing a property inspection). Its purpose is to protect both you and your client(s) by setting correct inspection expectations, including services you'll perform and payment(s) they'll make.

In order to adequately protect inspectors against claims and preserve insurance coverage, inspectors must get their agreements signed prior to the inspection 100 percent of the time. (Hence the "pre" in pre-inspection agreement. Learn more about the legal reasons why contracts need to be signed prior to inspections here.)

Recently, a home inspector asked:

"I have a real estate agent that sometimes pays for their clients' home inspection and also signs the pre-inspection agreement. If the buyer made a claim, would the insurance company defend me even though it was the real estate agent was the one who paid for the inspection and signed the agreement?"

We go over who can legally sign your pre-inspection agreement--and who actually should.

[READ MORE]
    my insurance covers me without an agreement..

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Additionally, they are contracts and should be called what they are: "Contract for Services"

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    That's surprising! Who are you with? A local provider?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Additionally, they are contracts and should be called what they are: "Contract for Services"
    "Contract for Services" is a great title, too, particularly for those outside of the industry, like clients and agents. We simply use the term "pre-inspection agreement" because that's how they're commonly referred to in the inspection and the insurance industry.

Stephanie Jaynes
    Marketing Director
    InspectorPro Insurance
    We Protect. You Inspect.
    www.inspectorproinsurance.com