Default No drip edge flashing on roof

New house had no rake or gable drip edge flashing installed, builder said he wasn't putting it on because there was no code in Johnson county. I said its a building standard to put it on. I think the buyers are going to walk. Its a crazy world out there

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Sam Morris; 03-06-2019 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Drip Edge
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: No drip cap flashing on roof

The installation instructions on the wrapper of every bundle of shingles that I can remember looking at show installation with drip edge flashing (recommended) and without drip edge flashing (many codes don't require it).

Typically a sign of a contractor who is willing to seriously cut corners on important stuff.

Would you want to buy a house that the contractor cut all those corners? What other important things did the contractor cut corners on?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: No drip edge flashing on roof

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    New house had no rake or gable drip edge flashing installed, builder said he wasn't putting it on because there was no code in Johnson county. I said its a building standard to put it on. I think the buyers are going to walk. Its a crazy world out there
    Side note, do you guys require ice and water shield ? Not sure what I?m looking at.

Are you referring to drip edge flashing? Not sure where Johnson County is or what codes your state has adopted, but R905.2.8.5 details drip edges.

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

You can always hand the builder this line.
    "You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-"

Mark Parlee
    WWW.theBuildingConsultant.com
    EDI instructor, EIFS AMSV

Quote Originally Posted by Phil brody View Post
    Side note, do you guys require ice and water shield ? Not sure what I?m looking at.
    The 2015 IRC states, in part:

R905.1.2 Ice barriers. In areas where there has been a history of ice forming along the eaves causing a backup of water as designated in Table R301.2(1), an ice barrier shall be installed for asphalt shingles, metal roof shingles, mineral-surfaced roll roofing, slate and slate-type shingles,
    wood shingles and wood shakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Frederickson View Post

R905.1.2 Ice barriers. In areas where there has been a history of ice forming along the eaves causing a backup of water as designated in Table R301.2(1), an ice barrier shall be installed for asphalt shingles, metal roof shingles, mineral-surfaced roll roofing, slate and slate-type shingles,
    Yes,that's my question, "been a history of ice forming". Isn't that a gray area ? Whats a history, one per month 2,5,10 years ?
    In the picture I didn't see any ice and water shield.

Individual counties in our state of TN can opt out of accepting building codes, so the county I inspected this house in was Johnson County which have not adopted any building codes. The builders decide what codes they want to build by. The builder refused to install the drip edge flashing and several other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    Individual counties in our state of TN can opt out of accepting building codes, so the county I inspected this house in was Johnson County which have not adopted any building codes. The builders decide what codes they want to build by. The builder refused to install the drip edge flashing and several other things.
    The best thing that can happen to those types of contractors is what has happened to a Ive met in the past - they are sued out of business.

Over the years when I had my inspection company, I had contractors inquire about working for/with me.

I had two from TN, and I recall them as they both had the same reason for having moved from TN to South Florida looking for work - there was no code in their area so their roofing contractors did not install any underlayment under the shingles ... standard practice in that area for many years ... for most contractors.

After a year of unseasonably heavy rains, the roofs on their houses all leaked. The roofing contractor and they were sued by many owners for the roofs on their houses.

The roofer got off free. They lost everything. Why? Because OTHER contractors paid the roofer to put underlayment down first (those roofs didn't leak), but those two contractors elected to NOT have the roofer use underlayment ... because nothing required them to use underlayment.

The roofer got off free because they did what they were told and contracted to do. The main contractors who made the decision to not pay for underlayment were on the hook for replacing all the roofs on the houses they had built going back 15 years ... bankruptcy was their only out (and both were divorced because of it).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Phil brody View Post
    Yes,that's my question, "been a history of ice forming". Isn't that a gray area ? Whats a history, one per month 2,5,10 years ?
    In the picture I didn't see any ice and water shield.
    "AS designated in Table R301.2(1)" The adopting state fills out this table and designates if an ice barrier is required.

"AS designated in Table R301.2(1)" The adopting state fills out this table and designates if an ice barrier is required.
    Which doesn't apply when the county elects out of the code ... and any county electing out of the state adopted code should be viewed with the caution being discussed here ... as that caution is absolutely necessary to anyone who buys, owns, rents or lives in a site built home.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Love it ! You can bet that the "Builder's" Home has drip edge flashing !

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Parlee View Post
    You can always hand the builder this line.
    "You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-"

In an opt out state, doesn't everybody lose except possibly the builder ?
    Do most owners get reps to protect their investment.
    I'm in an area that everything is regulated except paint colors.