Default Old truss design

I just inspected a home built in or around 1971. The roof trusses were a bit unusual, to put it mildly. As shown in the pics the trusses have top chords (rafters) that are spliced towards the lower end. The upper chord is simply bolted to the lower chord. My concern is that, without attachments at two locations, the chords could simply hinge apart. I could not access the attic (full of insulation) but I tried to view as many of the rafter chord connections as I could. I did not see any of the chords hinging apart (due to a possible loosening of the bolts) but still: does anyone know if this truss design has had problems? I could recommend a PE but without any evidence of failure or movement, I think the same judgment could be made after looking at the pics.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Old truss design

Hinged trusses typically indicate a system (or home) built off-site and shipped to the location.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Hinged trusses typically indicate a system (or home) built off-site and shipped to the location.
    As Dom said, that indicates a manufactured home ... upper section of the roof folded over the lower roof section to give a lower overall towing height so it can clear lower bridges and overpasses.

Do you have a photo of the ridge connection?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This was definitively a manufactured home. Sorry I didn't mention that. I accidently deteted the photo that woud show this at the ridge, where the two halves meet. Again, no distress was observed - but this was a dumb design in my opinion. By the way, I'd be interested to know what truss designs were prone to failure - but that could take up multiple threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Simpson View Post
    This was definitively a manufactured home. Sorry I didn't mention that. I accidently deteted the photo that woud show this at the ridge, where the two halves meet. Again, no distress was observed - but this was a dumb design in my opinion. By the way, I'd be interested to know what truss designs were prone to failure - but that could take up multiple threads.

48 years old no sign of stress or failure. Not that dumb of a design.

Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    48 years old no sign of stress or failure. Not that dumb of a design.
    Agreed !

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    As Dom said, that indicates a manufactured home ... upper section of the roof folded over the lower roof section to give a lower overall towing height so it can clear lower bridges and overpasses.

Do you have a photo of the ridge comany roof sheithing fasteners weree not connected to the rafters, as to structure , i recommned a structional engeneer, for further evalustion show
    I agree Jerry; In these pictures, for my report, I would write. -- " these pictures show roof sheathing, fasteners not secured to the rafters. I also recommend further evaluation by a structural engineer for live loads that may occur to this roof. "

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

Do you have a photo of the ridge comany roof sheithing fasteners weree not connected to the rafters, as to structure , i recommned a structional engeneer, for further evalustion show
    I agree Jerry; In these pictures, for my report, I would write. -- " these pictures show roof sheathing, fasteners not secured to the rafters. I also recommend further evaluation by a structural engineer for live loads that may occur to this roof. "

Study up on the design, and you might find that the roof was installed correctly and not an issue of concern.

I don't think you would be wrong to just report what you see, a hinged truss system, functioning as intended. You can word it anyway you like, but if it was built to the specs that were in place at that time, it is not a defect.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca