Default Education Help for a newbie in Ohio

Hi all, im Tony and new to the forum. I have been browsing it for a few days as i have started my journey in becoming a home inspector.

I am trying to find my best route for breaking into the indusrty with the best credentials possible.
    And that is where i am spinning my tail. There is only one hands on tranning i can find in my area (from Nachi website). As well as a few online courses with pricing all over the map. Currently, my state of OHIO is in a postion where they will be regulated this year, so I want to be sure that whatever route I go, I will be in compliance when the time comes. I am currently in the trades (HVAC Service Tech) I also own some rental real estate and have plans to ramp up my investing. Home inspection just fits me perfectly. I love being in the field, meeting new people, and helping people make informed decisions.

That is why I am reaching out to the men of experience here, if you were in my shoes, what route of education would you take to get certified as a ne HI

any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Tony

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Education Help for a newbie in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by TONY REYES View Post
    Hi all, im Tony and new to the forum. I have been browsing it for a few days as i have started my journey in becoming a home inspector.

I am trying to find my best route for breaking into the indusrty with the best credentials possible.
    And that is where i am spinning my tail. There is only one hands on tranning i can find in my area (from Nachi website). As well as a few online courses with pricing all over the map. Currently, my state of OHIO is in a postion where they will be regulated this year, so I want to be sure that whatever route I go, I will be in compliance when the time comes. I am currently in the trades (HVAC Service Tech) I also own some rental real estate and have plans to ramp up my investing. Home inspection just fits me perfectly. I love being in the field, meeting new people, and helping people make informed decisions.
    That is why I am reaching out to the men of experience here, if you were in my shoes, what route of education would you take to get certified as a ne HI
    any help and advice is greatly appreciated!
    Tony
    Tony,

My first recommendation is to find a local association chapter (such as ASHI) and attend a few meetings. There may be other organizations with local chapters. I don't know if Ohio has a statewide organization like California does (CREIA). If so, take a look at them as well. That way, you can get to know some of the other local inspectors as well as find out what some of the pitfalls are before you invest a lot of time, money and energy into this endeavor. Ideally, see if someone will be willing to take you along on an inspection (ride-along). I am a member of my local CREIA chapter and I have had around a dozen folks follow me on inspections. So far, only two have actually gone into inspecting. I think they start out with unreasonable expectations. It will generally take a couple of years to get a home inspection business up and running.

One source for good training is through ASHI. They have an annual conference in January (I believe this year's conference was in San Diego and next year is going to be in New Orleans). CREIA has had new inspector classes at their conferences in the past. It would probably be good to check and see if ASHI does the same.

The association meeting members may also be able to give you direction in your area as to where to get good training locally.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Tony,

My first recommendation is to find a local association chapter (such as ASHI) and attend a few meetings. There may be other organizations with local chapters. I don't know if Ohio has a statewide organization like California does (CREIA). If so, take a look at them as well. That way, you can get to know some of the other local inspectors as well as find out what some of the pitfalls are before you invest a lot of time, money and energy into this endeavor. Ideally, see if someone will be willing to take you along on an inspection (ride-along). I am a member of my local CREIA chapter and I have had around a dozen folks follow me on inspections. So far, only two have actually gone into inspecting. I think they start out with unreasonable expectations. It will generally take a couple of years to get a home inspection business up and running.

One source for good training is through ASHI. They have an annual conference in January (I believe this year's conference was in San Diego and next year is going to be in New Orleans). CREIA has had new inspector classes at their conferences in the past. It would probably be good to check and see if ASHI does the same.

The association meeting members may also be able to give you direction in your area as to where to get good training locally.

Thank you so much for the response!
    Great info! I am searching for a local group now.
    Thanks again!!

As previously stated ASHI and InterNachi have good resources and you can ask on the forums if any local inspectors will let you ride with them. Once you have your training on track joint a business networking group.

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

ASHI's courses aren't approved in Ohio. Perhaps they will be. Take InterNACHI's courses. Free, online, approved: www.nachi.org/ohio

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

I sent you a private message, check the "Notifications" tab at top of site to access message. Feel free to call for advice.